Saturday, December 6, 2008

Christmas Countdown Post #6

Christmas Countdown Post #6 is "My Fictional Christmas Party".  I am allowed to invite 10 guests to my house for a Christmas party.  The catch?  They all must be fictional. From literature, TV, movies, plays, radio programs, epic poems, cereal boxes(?), or anywhere else you might find a fictional character.  Also, the character can bring a companion if they normally travel together.  Here is my list - once again in no particular order.

1.  Charlie and Don Eppes from "Numbers".  Attractive - yes.  Genius - yes for Charlie.  Gun totin' - yes for Don. Capable of witty banter - yes.  What more could you want?

2.  Napoleon Dynamite.  I know, kind of outdated.  But if he's at my party, I can make him do his dance for me!  And play tetherball.

3.  Amelia Peabody Emerson and her husband, Walter Emerson.  This husband and wife are featured in a series of books by Elizabeth Peters.  The books span 35 years, beginning in 1884. The two are archaeologists in Egypt, who always manage to become embroiled in some sort of mystery and mayhem.  They would be a very entertaining addition to my party - although Emerson's (as she calls him) swearing might have to be excused!

4.  The Criminal Minds team.  Well, most of them anyway. If Prentiss and Rossi wanted to stay home, I would be okay with that.  But the rest of them would be great to have. Although Hotch would need to loosen up a bit.  And Morgan has to wear one of his t-shirts.  And if you don't know what I'm talking about - you need to watch the show! 

5.  Indiana Jones.  What can I say?  I still have a bit of a crush on Indy - even the now much older Indy.  He still looks good in that hat!

6.  Rob Petrie.  For those of you "young 'uns", that's the character Dick Van Dyke played on his TV show from the 1960s.  I would put my ottoman right in the middle of the floor - just to watch him trip over it!  Then he could sing and dance for me.  And entertain us with a comedy routine or two.

7.  Sid Halley.  "Who?" you are all probably saying.  Sid is a character from a few of the books written by British mystery author Dick Francis. He's a former steeplechase jockey, who, due to an injured (and ultimately amputated) hand, has to quit riding and becomes a private investigator. Just think of the stories he could tell!

8.  Alex Fletcher, Will Lightman, or William Thacker.  Take your pick.  These are my three favorite Hugh Grant characters from my three favorite Hugh Grant movies - "Music and Lyrics", "About a Boy", and "Notting Hill".  I would like to have any or all of them at my party.

9.  Bernardo from "West Side Story".  Just to watch him dance.  Sigh.

10.  The "Burn Notice" gang.  Michael, Fiona, Sam, and Madeline.  Again, if you haven't seen the show, you don't know what you're missing!  Ex-boyfriend/girlfriend tension! Mother/son angst!  Who knows what might happen with them at the party!

A varied and entertaining group.  I think we could have much singing, dancing, and general merriment at my party.

Who would you invite to your party?     

11 comments:

kimberly said...

I want to come to your party! But how about you invite Ramses Emerson for me, huh?

Laura said...

I suppose you want me to ask them to leave Nefrit at home, huh?

Anonymous said...

Rob Petrie

I had no idea how to spell his last name. That is a great choice.

Anonymous said...

Oopsie...that ^ was me.

~Michelle

kimberly said...

Well, I like her, too but...

Laura said...

Rob Petrie was one of the many names I looked up on IMDB! I figured Kimberly would give me a hard time if I spelled names wrong, so I looked them up!

Lori Hurst said...

We read many of the same books - but I would have to add Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple! And heck, yes - the Criminal Minds team (you have some good points, though)... Maybe Grissom (CSI) ... just for fun.

Jennifer said...

As if anyone has to ask - Leroy Jethro Gibbs! Abby, McGee, DeNozo and Ziva (does that count as one? No, I'm counting it as 2 - Gibbs stands alone, and if the others don't make it, who cares?)

Charlie Crews from Life

Iron Man

Angie Ostrowiski - that's Amy Pohler in Baby Mama.

Mr. Rochester from "Jane Eyre" as played by Toby Stephens.

Linus Larrabee - from Sabrina as played by Humphrey Bogart

Edna and Wilbur Turnblad - Hairspray, John Travolta and Christopher Walken

Dr. House - that wonderful Hugh Laurie!

Julia Larwood - heroine in the books by Sarah Caudwell - ditzy and flighty and hilarious

Stephanie Plum - Jersey girl and bounty hunter from Janet Evanovich.

Sarah said...

I would invite Dog the Bounty Hunter and his sons Leland and Duane Lee. Plus NeNe from the real housewives of Atlanta and Tom Coliccio from Top Chef. And Jacob Black. No Edward Cullen. He's a real buzz kill. Now that's a party.

Laura said...

Jennifer, I don't even know who Leroy Jethro Gibbs is. You will have to enlighten me.

Sarah, there are way too many reality stars at your party! I'm not sure I could handle it!

Jennifer said...

Secret Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs.

NCIS

Played by Mark Harmon.

My one true fictional love.

Tuesday nights as 7pm on CBS.

Watch a few to get into him.