Thursday, December 11, 2008

Christmas Countdown Post #10

Christmas Countdown Post #10 is "We do that every year". In other words, share your Christmas traditions.  Here are some of ours:

1.  We have an Advent calendar.  Actually we have two. One I made from a kit almost 25 years ago. I need to do some minor repair work, but never seem to get around to it. A few years ago I bought a new Advent calendar - one that matched the colors of my furniture.  You would have thought I had killed the dog, the way the kids reacted!  Now we have two.  The one that matches is in the family room, and the old one the kids love is in the hall.  The tradition evolved!

2.  Watching "White Christmas" as we decorate the tree. This is a newer tradition, but it's a keeper.

3.  The kids get at least one game on Christmas Eve.  They open it, then we all play it together as a family.  Last year's game was the best - "Ticket to Ride".  We all loved it (although Scott no longer enjoys it).  I'm not sure how I'll top that this year!

4.  Robert and I get to sleep until 7:00a.m.  This is more my tradition.  No matter what time the kids wake up, they can't wake Robert and I until 7:00.  I keep hoping that since they are all teenagers (or older) that they will sleep later, but on Christmas it doesn't happen.

5.  After I take the obligatory pictures of the Christmas tree, the kids open their stockings. That is always done first. 

6.  Family.  Since we moved back to Houston in 1993, we have spent almost every Christmas with my family.  We used to go to my parents' house, but since they have both passed away, my sister and her family come here (my house is tidier).  They usually stay a few days, and we have lots of fun.

7.  The foods of Christmas.  English toffee.  Peanut butter cookies with Hershey kisses.  Fudge. Fannie May candy. Honey Baked ham and smoked turkey.  My yummy rolls. I'm sure I've forgotten some, but they all make Christmas special.

Those are most of our traditions.  Feel free to share your own.  

9 comments:

kimberly said...

Why don't I just copy and paste your entry into my blog? It would make my life easier!

(I mostly finished the ornaments I made for the book club girls. Woo! They just need the red ribbon for hanging on the tree. I also finished the cookies!

The hat, however, is not finished.)

Sarah said...

You better be talking about our book club and if not...well then, Laura get to making us ormaments!!
I love all of those traditions!!
#1 What is Fannie May candy?
#2 I completely understand about the kids acting like you killed the dog when you tried to change the advent calendar. You should have seen the riot that ensued when mom said she was going to get a real tree topper and stop using the paper plate angel she had made at homemaking a million years ago. Needless to say the paper plate angel is alive and well atop my parents tree.

Jennifer said...

Furthermore, my mom told me yesterday that she is going to make us all paper plate angels to avoid the slaughter that will happen when she dies and we all fight over the one she has.

Laura said...

Unfortunately for you Sarah, Kimberly has a Mother/Daughter Book Club at the library where she works. The ornaments are for them - not you. And I ain't making you any!

Fannie May candy is chocolate from a company in Illinois. Luscious chocolates. Mint meltaways, Pixies (like turtles), Vanilla buttercreams. Yummy stuff. And I have boxes on the way!!

I think one of you Grover girls needs to take a picture of that paper plate tree topper, and post it. I am having a hard time envisioning it!

Leslie said...

fun, fun traditions!!

Court said...

White Christmas...what a great movie. Awesome music. Awesome dancing. Ridiculously tiny waist on Vera-Ellen.

Liz said...

Um, excuse me Laura. Did you miss a Christmas post or two? I believe you did!

Shel said...

We also have an Advent calendar and the kids usually race to get to it first in the morning to change it, sometimes it's all in good fun, but sometimes it's all out war!

We have a yearly F.H.E. that we do at the beginning of Dec. where we each draw names of other family members that we secrectly do service for and when you do that service we have a "bed" for Jesus that you can add hay (raffia) to. It's so awesome to see how through the month his bed begins to get fuller and fuller. We talk about how we want to make his bed nice and soft for his arrival. We re-draw names each Monday at F.H.E. The kids look forward to this each year and I love it! A friend in Utah gave it to us for a Christmas gift years ago... priceless!

We make the kids wait to open gifts until we take pictures and this drives them bonkers. James has them line up and pose in great anticipation, ugh, they are already dreading it!

"Tradition!" as Tevye in Fiddler on Roof would say! What would we do without it!

Laura said...

Courtney, Kimberly and I always comment on Vera Allen's ridiculously small waist. She makes Rosemary Clooney, who was not heavy in that movie, look fat!