Thursday, December 4, 2008

Christmas Countdown Post #3

Christmas Countdown Post #3 is to name my favorite Christmas songs, as recorded by actual artists.  This may be tough because I am notoriously bad for not knowing who sings the songs I like!  But I'll give it a try.

1.  "O Holy Night" by Josh Groban.  Hands down the best version of that song ever.  

2.  Any of the songs from "John Denver and the Muppets: A Christmas Together".  Don't make me pick just one!  I love that whole album/cassette tape/CD (that is all of the formats I have owned it in).

3.  "Momma Mary" by Roger Whittaker.  Not a traditional song at all, but one I've listened to for years and love.

4.  "White Christmas" by Bing Crosby.  Okay, he's not so contemporary, but it never really feels like Christmas until I hear this song, sung by Bing.

5.  "Merry Christmas With Love" by Clay Aiken.  I'm a little embarrassed to admit this one. But I like his Christmas CD, and I love this song.

6.  "The Little Drummer Boy" by John Denver.  I couldn't make a list like this and not include a song by John Denver, my favorite singer ever!  

7.  "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" by Andy Williams.  I have listened to Andy Williams since I was little, and I still play this CD every year.

8.  "Sleigh Ride" by Johnny Mathis.  This is another one of those albums that was played at my house every year.  It's kind of funny - I have one Johnny Mathis CD and one Andy Williams CD, and they are the same ones that I have been listening to since I was a kid!  I think I used to own one more CD from each of them, but they just weren't Christmas to me!

9.  (Added at 1:21a.m.)  "Mary, Did You Know?" by Kathy Matea.  This was the first version I ever heard of this song, and it's always been my favorite.  So beautiful.

I think that's a good list.  Thanks to iTunes for helping me remember songs I love!  

I challenge you to add your favorites in my Comments section.

6 comments:

kimberly said...

It frightens me how similar our lists are. I suspect this is because you indoctrinated me as a child.

You know, we really need to find a way to turn the John Denver and the Muppets special into a DVD. I wonder if you could take it somewhere..

Anonymous said...

"John Denver and the Muppets: A Christmas Together" is the best Christmas album ever made. Ever.


~Michelle

Laura said...

I'm glad we are all in agreement on the amazingness that is "John Denver and the Muppets: A Christmas Together"!

I'll have to look into turning our VHS tape into a DVD.

Liz said...

That is such a great list--dead ringers. So many of your favorites are my all-times as well. That Josh Groban one is my favorite version of any christmas song ever sung! It brings tears and goosebumps!

Jennifer said...

As a matter of fact, you CAN turn your VHS to DVD. Andy's done it. You can use his place if you want, just let me know so I can get the info.

Josh Groban, #1, all time, the end.

I really don't know any others. I just know the songs I like. I like "Were You There." OH! I like "Blue Christmas" by Elvis, of course.

Laura said...

Jennifer, that would be great! I would love to have a couple of copies of that tape on DVD (I know Kimberly wants one too). I will definitely get in touch!