Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas Countdown Post #21

It's late, but here is Christmas Countdown Post #21:  "Non-Fictional Christmas Party".  This is the Christmas Party I would have with real people - dead or alive.  Here goes:

1.  James Herriott.  Deceased.  He's a British veterinarian who wrote about his work and life experiences during the 1940's and early 1950's.  The books are well written and very funny.  I would love to have him come to my party and tell us some more stories from those days.  

2.  John Denver.  Deceased.  I swear, John is on every list I make!  I want him at my party to sing.  I guess he can talk too.  But we will have to keep the conversation away from the environment - I don't want to get into that with him!

3.  Hugh Grant.  Alive.  I think he would be a lot of fun at a party.  And even if he's dull, he's got a great accent!

4.  Elizabeth Peters.  Alive.  She's another author.  Her two main characters, Amelia Peabody Emerson and Walter Emerson, were invited to my fictional party.  I think that anyone who could create characters as interesting as Amelia and Walter would be a lot of fun to have at my party.

5.  Jimmy Stewart.  Deceased.  I have always loved him. He was such a wonderful actor.  But he was more than that. In the early 1990's, I saw him on the Johnny Carson Show. He read some poems he had written.  I loved them so much, I went out and bought his book of poetry. If you would like to read one of his poems, this is my favorite.  I would like to have him come to my party and read his poems.

I think I'm going to leave my party at these five.  There are historical figures (such as Abraham Lincoln) and religious figures (such as Joseph Smith or Gordon B. Hinckley) I would like to meet, but not in this setting.  So this will be my party.

Who would you invite?  

2 comments:

Carol Beck said...

i never knew jimmy stewart wrote poetry. im going to have to give that author you talked about with the peabody characters a try.

Carol Beck said...

ok. i read back over your post and the author was elizabeth peters and only 1 of the characters had peabody in their name. i am a fan of john denver too!