Thursday, December 4, 2008

Christmas Countdown Post #4

Today's Christmas Countdown Post (#4) is "Movies (or Television shows) to December by". Here is a list of my favorites - in no particular order.

1.  "White Christmas".  Just like I don't feel like the Christmas season has begun until I hear Bing Crosby sing this song, I don't feel like the Christmas season has started until I see this movie.  In fact, we just watched it on Sunday.  Kimberly hadn't gone home yet, so we watched the movie, and decorated the tree.  That is our Christmas tree decorating tradition.

2.  "A Christmas Story".  I first saw this movie about six years ago.  I can't believe I had not seen it before then.  It is now one of our family's favorite movies.  "You'll shoot your eye out!!"

3.  "A Christmas Carol".  My favorite is the one with Reginald Owen.  It's an old black and white version, which I like better than any of the other ones I have seen.  I think part of it's charm for me is that it's only 69 minutes long - perfect for my short attention span!  

4.  "Holiday Inn".  Bing Crosby singing.  Fred Astaire dancing.  'Nuff said.

5.  "The Little Drummer Boy".  I have always loved this TV special.  I watched it every year when I was a kid.  Then it fell out of favor in TV land (probably because there was no Santa - just the actual Christmas story), and I didn't see it again until it was released on DVD.  I love it because it is actually about the birth of the baby Jesus.

6.  "Going My Way" and "The Bells of St. Mary's".  Bing Crosby plays Catholic priest, Father O'Malley in both of these.  He seems to figure heavily in my Christmas movie viewing!  He was just so gosh darn good at them, I guess.

7.  "The Homecoming".  This was the 2 hour pilot for "The Waltons".  It featured a different Mom and Dad (I'm glad they were replaced for the TV show), but John Boy was the same, and that's all that mattered!  I love to watch some Waltons cheesy goodness! 

8.  "How the Grinch Stole Christmas".  This was always my Dad's favorite Christmas special, so my family watched it every year while I was growing up.  I have seen it so often that I can pretty much recite along with the characters!  

9.  "A Charlie Brown Christmas".  Probably the first Christmas special I ever saw, and still one of my favorites.  

10.  "John Denver and the Muppets: A Christmas Together". My list would not be complete without this show.  John Denver as a tin soldier.  John fending off advances from Miss Piggy. Kermit's earnest singing.  "Alfie the Christmas Tree".  What's  not to love?

Isn't that a great list of Christmas movies and TV shows? What's amazing to me is that I can watch any of these shows any time I want - I own them all on DVD (or VHS). When I was a girl (gosh I'm old), we had to check the TV guide and mark our calendar so we didn't miss our favorite specials.  If we missed it, we weren't seeing it again until next year.  It's nice that we can see them now whenever we want, but I think something is missing.  Those shows were "an event" back then.  We made time to see them, and it was special.  I think we kind of miss something now (not that I would ever let you take my DVDs away from me).

6 comments:

Court said...

I'm totally going to have to borrow your John Denver/Muppets dvd. That one really takes me back.

P.S. Y'all look awesome in your coordinating sweaters. Your Thanksgiving rocked--delish food and sweet deals!

Sarah said...

I know what you are talking about regarding the Christmas specials on TV. I remember our family would gather around the TV with our pillows and blankets and wait for that rainbow "special" logo to come on and spin around and around. Do ya'll remember that? I would get so excited and feel so close to my family. It was just as good, if not better, than going to the movies. I try to gather my family around to watch Christmas shows now and they are totally uninterested. Except for Angelo who will watch anything.

Liz said...

I love Holiday Inn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Is you's Miss Mammey?"

Jennifer said...

Holiday Inn, Grinch, Charlie Brown. The trifecta.

Lori Hurst said...

Call me crazy, but I love "Scrooged" - we have to watch it every year.

Laura said...

Robert also loves "Scrooged". I just can't get into that one.