Sunday, December 14, 2008

Christmas Countdown Post #14

Christmas Countdown Post #15 is "Christmas Sing-a-long". These are Christmas songs I love to sing along with.  Here are some of my favorites:

1.  "Good King Wenceslas". I have always loved this song.  I never hear it anywhere, but have been known to sing it out loud in my car when I am all alone!  I think I may be one of the only people around who knows all the verses! It's a great song.  If you don't know it, you should check it out.

2.  "O Holy Night".  I can't do it justice, so I probably shouldn't be singing it.  But I love this song, and whenever I hear it, I have to sing!

3.  "Angels We Have Heard on High".  A couple of years ago, I learned the alto part for this song.  It's a great part, and makes singing this song even more enjoyable.

4.  "Carol of the Bells".  I love to sing this song, but I really need the music to do so.  I can never remember all the words.  It's great fun to sing - very joyful.

5.  "Hark the Herald Angels Sing".  I find myself drawn to more up tempo Christmas songs (which may explain my dislike for "Silent Night".  That, or the fact that we sing it repeatedly).  

6.  "What Child is This".  I include this song with one caveat - it must be sung correctly.  The song has 3 totally different and distinct verses.  The last half of the first verse is not the chorus for verses 2 and 3!  There is no chorus!!  Each verse is totally different!  It really bugs me when this song is not sung the way it was written - and I seem to hear it wrong all of the time! Sing it right or don't sing it at all!  My mini-rant is now over.

7.  "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel".  Such a beautiful song.

8.  "We Three Kings".  Another song that I don't hear much anymore, but that is just fun to sing.  "Oh-ooohh!!"

I decided to only include more traditional, religious Christmas music.  I have a whole other list of more secular Christmas favorites.  Surprisingly, only two of my 8 songs are found in our hymnal.  I guess I get tired of the ones we sing all the time, and I'm drawn to more unusual songs.  

Michelle, I was not trying to copy your list - I just really like 3 of the 5 you chose!  You've got good taste!      

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Had I made my list longer your numbers 6 and 8 would have been on it also.

~Michelle

Court said...

Sing it loud, sing it proud on # 8, girl! Oh--ooooh! :)

kimberly said...

So I just noticed that, without me even trying, our lists are almost exactly alike. We have one song different. That's all. SCARY.

WE ARE TOO ALIKE!