Monday, February 9, 2009

What We Discovered

This weekend we discovered that our new Stake Center does not have any doors that are wide enough to easily roll a marimba through.  In order to get a marimba in or out of the building, it is necessary to remove a side rail and the front (or back?) wheels and maneuver the instrument very carefully by the back (or front?) wheels while at least 2 people carry the part of the instrument now lacking wheels.  
Amazingly though, if you take out the two middle seats, and fold the rear seat into its well, it is possible (with a little effort), to fit a full size Marimba into the back of a Honda Odyssey!  Who knew?!?

Jeffrey enjoyed playing for the Open House on Saturday and for Sacrament Meeting on Sunday, but it is not something he will be doing again anytime soon!  

8 comments:

Alisha said...

He did a GREAT job. When I started playing I got the chills & I felt the spirit. It was really wonderful.

I feel your pain though-- I walked my babies down to the church last Saturday to make the copies of the program. It took quite the maneuvering to get a double wide stroller through those doors! I could have used about an extra 1/4 inch!

kimberly said...

Marimba's are sacrament meeting approved? I would have never guessed that.

What did he play?

kimberly said...

And, wait. Where did he get a marimba?

Laura said...

Apparently marimbas are Sacrament Meeting approved. He played "I Believe in Christ" - it sounded really nice. The marimba belongs to the high school, and I'm still amazed they let us borrow it for the weekend.

kimberly said...

I am trying to imagine that song as played on a marimba and failing miserably.

I'm also shocked they let you guys borrow the thing. They must really love Jeffrey.

(I'm home, by the way. (And icing is made and colored!) Forgot to call. Oops!)

jamie said...

i guess i'm the only one who had to look up marimba in widipedia to figure out what in the world you were talking about! how cool, though. sorry i missed hearing that!

Lori Hurst said...

No, Jamie - I'm sitting here wondering what the crap is a marimba while I was reading this! I will also go to my good ole' source Wiki to figure it out. Sorry I missed it. (I scored a zero aptitue and interest in music in that test you have in Junior High to figure out what you are interested in. They said I was the first one to score a zero!)

Jennifer said...

It was really beautiful. My kids kept asking what it was called and I kept saying it was an instrument. And I spent the rest of Sunday wondering how you got it to church.