Monday, February 16, 2009

Top Hat

As most of you know, my son, Brian, is currently serving a mission in the Dominican Republic.  Because of the climate, he does not wear a suit - he wears dress pants, a short sleeve white shirt, and a tie.  Knowing that, here is part of the e-mail I received from him today:

Speaking of cold, I think it would be really cool to serve in a suit mission, especially if it got cold enough to have to wear a big greatcoat with the suit.  Of course, if I was wearing a greatcoat, I would have to ask my mission president for permission to wear a top hat with it.  It would be kind of like living in the 1800´s.  I think top hats should come back in style.  I might buy one when I get home, to wear around.

What?!?!?  I don't even know where that came from.  As far as I know, Brian has never expressed a desire to own either a greatcoat or a top hat.  But, I can see him now - strolling around the A&M campus wearing a top hat!  Who knows, maybe he could singlehandedly bring the top hat back into every day use!

(Brian, I know you sometimes read my blog on your P-day. I hope you don't mind if I quoted you.  I thought my friends would enjoy it.)

9 comments:

Alisha said...

That is hilarious. The things missionaries come up with...

Sarah said...

Who says greatcoat?!

Laura said...

I don't know where greatcoat came from. I have never used that term before. Maybe too much Dickens in high school?

Shel said...

I say G0 FOR IT, BRIAN!! A top hat would be Rockin'!!! I would love to see some things make a "comeback" and most people just aren't brave enough to bring 'em back...sooooo bring it on.... I even like the word greatcoat. I've always thought using language from the "old" days or from the British in the 1800's would be so cool, but I can't figure out how to work it in.. you know, like in Horatio movies... How can I use Frigate (sp) nowadays.. I love that word. FYI... Those of you who don't know Horatio Hornblower movies are missing out. I may have to watch me some Horatio now...

Hippo said...

I say Greatcoat! And I own a top hat!

kimberly said...

Shelley, I love the Horatio Hornblower movies! Clearly, you have good taste.

Brian cracks me up. That email was the most rambling thing I've ever seen. And a top hat? Oh, that boy!

Lori Hurst said...

Gary could make him a top hat out of black construction paper - he is pretty good at it ... just to see if he likes it first...

Jennifer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer said...

Surely you can get a discounted top hat the day after President's Day! And you should throw in a cane to complete the ensemble.



(The deleted comment was mine. It was exactly the same - uh, except for this part in the parenthesis - but I had forgotten to check the email follow-up comments box.)