Friday, February 20, 2009

I Love to Give Presents!!

Many of you know that Lori's husband, Gary, has been traveling to Australia on business.  On one of his trips he brought Lori back a key chain coin purse made of a real cane toad (minus the arms and legs).  Because I am a loving (and slightly evil) mother, I decided Kimberly, who has a large key chain collection, needed a toad of her own! Gary, pleased to spread this unique souvenir across the U.S., was happy to oblige.  Here is Kimberly's toad:  

Not content to just give him to her, I placed him in a box, which I then wrapped in pretty paper.  Kimberly came down today and we went out to lunch.  After we placed our order, I gave her her present.  She was very excited.  After she opened the present, however, her excitement turned to, well, I'm not sure.  Dismay?  Disgust?  Chagrin?  Lets just say I don't think she shares Lori's love for the little toads! Here she is pictured with her toad:  

Note that she is carefully holding him by the key ring.  She has so far refused to touch him.  Poor little guy.

She is planning to name him soon.  I am confident that once she names him, she will begin to develop an attachment towards him.  If she doesn't, I may have Lori send Harriet over to slap her around a little.

8 comments:

Lori Hurst said...

Hah! I wish you could have taken a photo of her face! She will learn to love him/her? They just grow on you. Gary is actually getting one for my brother who is dead serious he is going to use it. He was rambling on about taking the boys to McDonalds, whipping out his coin purse to pay ... Dude really is crazy!!

And I will send Harriett over! If that does not work, let us know if we need to expand our ever expanding brood over here - 'toad adoption'.

kimberly said...

Oh gosh. He's so scary! He's still in the box because I haven't worked up the courage to actually touch him.

*shivers*

But I'll name him and display him in a prominent location so everyone who visits can be just as frightened as me.

I don't know whether I should go the evil name route (he has that look in his eyes) or go the innocent route (like a serial killer, something comforting so you appreciate them and they can get you unawares).

Laura said...

Video would have been even better. She opened the box and started to reach for what was inside. Then she realized what it was, got a frightened look on her face, and jerked her hand back. It was hilarious!

Benjamin Hunsaker said...

that is hilarious, you are such a wonderful mom!

jamie said...

i'm not a girly girl and normally wouldn't care about something like that...but this one is honestly...a little creepy!

Anonymous said...

To my sister - you are a sick woman! It's lucky for you she didn't scream right there in the restaurant.

Kimberly, give the poor thing a nice name. After all, he is legless. How about Prince, as in you have to kiss a lot of toads before you meet your Prince?? Aunt Chris

Court said...

One question for Kimberly. I imagine the frog purse has a distinctive, even maliferous, odor. Can you confirm?

Hippo said...

Name him Gary after the man who got him.