Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ash Wednesday

It's 5:00, and Jeffrey just said to me, "It's Ash Wednesday". Until he said that, I hadn't even realized it.  Which isn't really surprising since Mormons don't observe Ash Wednesday.  But I was raised Catholic.  Ash Wednesday was part of my life for eighteen years.  It was the day we went to church and got ashes on our forehead.  It was a big deal. I realize I have been a member of the LDS church for 30 years, but still.  I feel like I've forgotten part of my heritage. 

4 comments:

Alisha said...

LOL

I'm not laughing at you. I'm laughing at the fact that I've been wondering all evening what the heck was on my neighbor's forehead when I went over there tonight. Duh. Ashes.

Liz said...

I have been Mormon my whole life yet never knew a lick about Pioneer day until I lived in Idaho. It is like a national holiday around there at this time. Every year on that speical day (see, for the life of me I cannot remember the date) everyone would be goin' crazy and I'd be like "What's the big deal?" And people would look at me with horror in their eyes and say,"Hello! It's pioneer day!!"

Lori Hurst said...

That seemed sad. I don't think you can lose a piece of your heritage - maybe just misplace for a little while. It is what defines you, and makes you who you are - which is a lovely person. I never knew what Ash Wednesday was so you have helped clear up a mystery for me.

Anonymous said...

I always forget I have the ashes on my forehead after I get them. Like last night when I put my head down on my hand and made a big mess of myself. *sigh*

~Michelle