Monday, January 26, 2009

Random Facts Tag

My friend, Rhonda, tagged me (she tagged you too, Lori).

Here are the rules:
Post six random things about yourself.
Tag six people at the end of your post.

1.  I once touched John Denver's hand (it's been a while since I mentioned John).  Robert and I had just seen him in concert at Jones Hall.  We went out a side door, and saw a bus.  I told Robert I wasn't leaving until someone got on that bus!  So we waited and John eventually came out the door! He didn't stop, but he did sort of stick out his hands as he walked by.  So exciting.  Side note:  Because I remembered that incident, Kimberly and I were able to meet Michael Buble the first time we saw him in concert.

2.  I was baptized in 1978.  The missionary who baptized me was from Washington.  About 10 years ago, I looked online and found someone with his name living in Washington.  So I called, and it turned out to be him!  Now we exchange Christmas cards every year, and it's kind of nice to know what's going on with him and his family.  I imagine it's probably nice for him to know that one of the people he baptized is still active.

3.  I played the oboe and English horn in high school.  The English horn looks a lot like an oboe, except it's longer and has a deeper sound.  I carried a flag in Marching Band (you can't march with an oboe).  We didn't do fancy stuff though - we just carried the flags.

4.  I had an 11 pound baby.  Yes, that's right - 11 pounds. Jeffrey was my giant baby - although you would never know it now.  

5.  I am deathly afraid of bees and wasps.  I have been known to run into the house at the sight of a wasp.  When I was in high school, a wasp flew in my car window while I was driving.  I moved over until I was practically sitting on my passenger's lap!  That made driving interesting. Fortunately we were on a deserted road!  And fortunately the wasp flew back out the window!  The perils of non-air conditioned cars!

6.  I was always jealous that my sister had perfect eyesight. I have had to wear glasses since I was 13, and always envied her 20/20 vision.  Would it be terrible of me to say "Ha Ha" now that she has to wear reading glasses?  I love you, Chris!!! 

I tag:
Kimberly
Liz
Jennifer
Carol
Leslie
Alisha

11 comments:

Lori Hurst said...

Ok, I'm in trouble - I was tagged for a 25 random things about me on facebook and tagged you! That is a lot of randomness! Feel free to ignore that I tagged you. I will do Rhonda's also.

Lori Hurst said...

Ooops I just saw who you tagged: Carol, Kimberly and Leslie are not going to be happy about this also! I tagged them (was supposed to come up with 25 to tag - IMPOSSIBLE!) I think I like the mini version more!

Laura said...

I just did the Facebook one. It was hard much harder to come up with 25 for that one, than 6 for this one!

Laura said...

Man, I wrote that poorly!

Shel said...

I share your deep fear of bees and wasps... I mean I completely freak out! Once in Utah (tons of bees there!) I was walking to my car in the grocery store parking lot with Emily in the basket and a bee came buzzing along.. well, I kinda flipped out and ran away from the basket... poor Em, groceries and all... I didn't go too far, but I'm sure you relate.

I know I wasn't 'tagged' but I don't have a blog, sooo I will add 5 more things just for the fun of it on here..(hope you don't mind)

When I was 10 years old I was flying to my Grandparents "unaccompanied" and there was a bomb threat on our plane.. we had to emergency land in Oxnard, CA for 5 hours while they searched the plane.. I got to slide down the inflatable slide! I was also on the 10 o'clock news since they interviewed me. Fun times!

I'm a 'trained' travel agent.. yes, that was my "career choice". It was the shortest school time!

I actually attended the sister missionary's homecoming who taught me (in Lake Jackson, TX). We had moved to West Valley, UT.. it was great. Her parents actually came to my baptism.

I've had all 4 of my children NATURAL, I mean A La no medication what so ever... this is because I am so very very afraid of needles.. especially a needle in my back! Now, I will take a pill if needed, just not a needle... woooshoop... heebie jeebie.

A lot of people may know this one, but James and I started dating after seeing each other at a Metallica/The Cult concert.

Sorry, for taking up so much of your comments space, but this seemed so fun and James left for two weeks today, so I was feeling, well... kinda blah, thanks...

shel-

Laura said...

I'm glad you added your "Random Facts", Shelley. Hey, I know! With James gone, now would be a perfect time for you to start a blog!

Anonymous said...

Well, here goes. I am Laurie's sister and I do not have a blog either, but I am tempted to do so. For now though, here are six random facts:
1. I was at an Andy Williams concert at BYU (only at BYU!) when Andy Williams stood right beside me and sang his famous rendition of Moon River. The spotlight was on him - it was wonderful. I think I just gave my age away...
2. I had all 4 of my children
c-section and was in a Primary presidency, where we all had 4 babies c-section. How strange is that?
3. Bob and I put money down (well, he put the money down - I signed the paperwork) on a house before he even kissed me. He took care of that later on.
4. I played the part of Mother Superior in The Sound of Music when I was 7 months pregnanat with my oldest daughter, Ashley. The only time I really felt conspicious about being a pregnant nun was when 3 real nuns showed up. I tried to suck my tummy in as much as I could. If you don't know it, Laurie and I were raised in a very strong Catholic family.
5. I rescue stray dogs quite frequently. I either bring them to their owners or bring them home until we can find their owners. Two of these stray dogs have ended up with us permanantly. We still have Lady, and she is the smartest dog we have ever had.
6. I am very tenchnologically challenged, which is why I don't have a blog and can't change the picture on my facebook (which my daughter set up for me before going back to BYU-I - where it is 18 outside, but feels like -34. All of the schools are closed except BYU-I - makes me appreciate Texas.)
I don't know anyone else that has a blog, so I can't send this on, but thanks for reading this all the way to the end. Chris

Laura said...

Chris, I'll have you blogging yet! Did you see I also tagged you on Facebook?

Jennifer said...

I didn't know you had a nickname!

Rhonda said...

Don't worry about 6 more random things Lori! I'm so impressed that you came up with 25.

Court said...

Chris, I've never met you but I already like you b/c 1--you are Laura's sister, and 2--it takes a lot of pluck to play Mother Superior @ 7 months pregnant. Excellent work!