Saturday, January 24, 2009

Journals

I am not a good journal keeper.  I wish I were one of those people who wrote diligently in their journal every night (heck, even once a week would be good).  But I'm not.  I know I'm supposed to keep a journal, but I feel I have very few journal worthy events to record.  So I'm a slacker.  

However, for the past 15 years or so I have kept a weekly engagement calendar in my nightstand.  I try to write down something every day or so.  Sometimes it's just a list of what went on that day.  Sometimes it's a line or two of feelings.  It's not deep writing, but it comes in handy.  Like when I'm trying to remember if Scott went camping last January - I can usually find a record of it.  Or when I was writing my two posts about my parents, I pulled out my calendars and they helped me remember the order of events.  

I guess you might call me a mini-journaler!  For now, it's a start. 

8 comments:

Lori Hurst said...

Way better than me - I write nothing!!

Benjamin Hunsaker said...

Uh, your blog counts! :)

Alisha said...

That is totally journaling Laura. I wish I kept something like that. But yes, I think Blogging counts too!

Jennifer said...

I journal like you, except for the engagement calendar part.

Shel said...

Journaling is something I'd like to be better at doing. The fact that you keep up with your engagement calendar and can look back on it is fabulous! I really need to start doing something.. even if it is jotting down a few thoughts like you said. I'm always thinking about things I'd like to "jot" down, but never stop to do it... silly me, at least you're doing it... yay you!!!

Liz said...

Laura,
That is a good system! When I read in my grandma's journal (something that brings me great comfort) one of my favorite parts is reading about where she went that day or what she did. Just the mundane, but to me it is so interesting.

Laura said...

I guess I don't count my blog as journaling because I rarely write anything of substance! My blog is usually full of shallow ramblings - not what I consider "ancestor worthy".

Jennifer said...

Your blog is SO ancestor-worthy! Your personality just shines in it!