Thursday, January 1, 2009

Book Club

Book Club is on Monday.  We're reading "Man's Search for Meaning" by Viktor Frankl.  Who hasn't read the book? That's right, me!!  Who doesn't want to read the book? Right again, me!!  I have tried to read it, but I am just not in the mood for what seems to be a depressing, psychological look at Concentration Camps.  I just want to read light mysteries that require little concentration.  I just want to read fluff!!

Truth be told, I always want to read fluff.  I like Book Club, and I know it's good for me, but sometimes I just don't want to read the book we have selected.  Most of the time, I make myself read the book, and often end up enjoying it. But there are time when I just can't make myself read the book.  And I fear this may be one of those times.

Someone help me!!  Tell me this book gets riveting once you read past a certain point.  I am at the point where I am avoiding reading altogether (a pastime which I love) because I don't want to read this book.  And I hate that.  I need some help.  

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

Read whatever you want.

The book, for me, was hard all the way through. But it wasn't depressing. Since it is mostly psychological, you could always just skim through and read the actual accounts the author had in the camps and then listen to the discussion on Monday. Or, you could just find the part after liberation towards the end. It's interesting. Or don't read it, and just come anyway.

kimberly said...

I enjoy learning about that period of history, but I have never felt an inclination to read this particular book.

Guess what books I'm reading for my two book clubs this month? Sense & Sensibility (which is actually going rather well - I know you didn't finish this one) and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I REALLY HATE THAT SECOND BOOK. This is why I'm reading S&S even though the other book club is 2 weeks earlier.

I just want to read about Mary Anne and Logan's tragic middle school love affair. Is that too much to ask?

Laura said...

What's really sad is that now I too have a desire to read about Mary Anne and Logan's tragic middle school love affair.

Liz said...

This is precisely why I am not a part of book club! I only want to read fluff! And my fluff is even fluffier than yours--it's like People magazine!

Lori Hurst said...

I'm with Liz! I love mysteries and want to become detached emotionally for a while - so I read crap. Books like that (and deep church books) are hard for me because they are work and get me all emotional- the thing I am trying to avoid!

Laura said...

I know it's good for me to read something besides the mysteries that I love so well. Even though I struggle sometimes, I keep trying. I'm actually on page 91 of "Man's Search for Meaning", and since it's only 154 pages, I will finish! And it's actually been a good book. Once all is said and done, I will be glad I read it.

But I will quickly pick up one of my mysteries when I am done!

Kristie said...

I've just been catching up on my blog reading instead of reading that horribly boring book. I'm so glad I'm not the only one!