Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Names

Hi, my name is Laura.  Unless you are my parents, sister, aunts, uncles, cousins, or friends of my sister's.  Then my name is Laurie.  I don't know why they call me Laurie.  They just do.  In fact, I once asked my dad why he called me Laurie.  His reply?  "Because that's your name."  Um, no, dad, it's not.  My name is Laura.  He was quite surprised to hear that.  So my family (on my side only) calls me Laurie. But I have always introduced myself as Laura.  It would sound weird to me to say my name was Laurie.  It would be weird to me if you guys all started calling me Laurie.  That's like a separate part of me.  So just keep calling me Laura, but don't be surprised when my sister calls me Laurie.    

5 comments:

Alisha said...

That's kinda funny! Especially about your dad! LOL

Liz said...

I was kinda wondering about that! I find that so interesting. I'll tell you what's super crazy. Denise Crane's parents called her Liz. Her name is Denise Crane, was Denise Deacon and she has no middle name. There is no reason for them to have called her Liz they just did. And she said they couldn't even really give a reason how/why this started in the first place! Crazy.

Shel said...

I was also wondering when I read Chris' comment.. that's funny... especially that your dad tried to tell you that Laurie WAS your name.

Jennifer said...

I have a name thing, too, Laura. I'll blog it.

kimberly said...

Oddly enough, though I think it is weird when people outside the family call me Kimmy, it doesn't really bother me.

Kim, though. I really hate that and there are some people you just can't break of the habit.