Friday, October 31, 2008

Quilt Festival

I went to the Houston Quilt Festival yesterday.  I went with 3 sisters from the ward.  Two of us got separated from the others - which I think may have been intentional since we were going slower than they wanted to go!  It didn't matter though - we had a great time and saw everything we wanted to see.  And we all ate lunch together, so they didn't ditch us altogether!

If you have never been to the Quilt Festival, you need to go. Unless, of course, you hate quilts and quilting stuff.  Then it probably wouldn't be much fun!  The Festival is held at the George R. Brown Convention Center.  Half of the Exhibition Hall is full of hundreds of beautiful quilts.  It is simply amazing what some people can do with fabric!  I can't even imagine ever being able to make quilts like the ones on display.

The other half of the Exhibition Hall is my favorite part - shopping!! Hundreds of booths full of quilting supplies - sewing machines, fabric, patterns, sewing gadgets, and more!  You name it, it's probably there somewhere.  Plus booths full of jewelry - mostly women go to the Quilt Festival, you know.  

Plus they sell something that I have to buy every time I go to the Quilt Festival - cinnamon pecans and almonds!  I know they don't have anything to do with quilting.  But so what!  Cinnamon pecans and almonds are fantastic!

This is one of my favorite quilts.  I love blue and have always loved quilts done in blue and white like that.  And look at the workmanship - it's amazing.

6 comments:

Shel said...

I love quilts and oohing and awhing at them... it's amazing to see what some women do. There is really spectacular talent out there. My mother in-law is really into quilting and I've gone to one quilt show with her, it was fun! I wasn't told about the "rules" though and wanted to look at the back of a quilt and gently grabbed the side to peek and the lady "guarding" that one freaked out on me.."you need to wear gloves to touch the quilts" Oye vey, lady breath... I'm new! It was funny. I'll have to go with you sometime.. I've never made one, but I do love to admire and I love shopping...wink wink!!

Laura said...

Those ladies guarding the quilts are tough!! You're lucky they didn't chop your hand off for that!

You'll have to go with us next year. It's a fun girls' day!

Alisha said...

I'm not a quilter either but had a GREAT time!

kimberly said...

YOU BOUGHT CINNAMON ALMONDS WITHOUT ME?? I am scandalized!

I'm not sure I can forgive you.

Laura said...

And the cinnamon almonds are almost gone! So ha!

Benjamin Hunsaker said...

sounds like a fun day. There is a quilt festival here too, how funny. That quilt is beautiful!