Tuesday, October 28, 2008

More About "The Notebook"

I watched "The Notebook" on Saturday evening.  I was home alone - the boys were at a Band thing and Robert was at work (poor guy).  The movie was pretty tame.  The only part you could maybe question was when engaged Allie went to see Noah, and things happened.  So at that point I am kind of watching, kind of doing other things, when in walked Jeffrey and Scott!  I paused the movie to ask about Band, but then they just sat in the family room.  I finally started the movie again, and fortunately they pretty much ignored it, and that part was almost over.  I realize that that part of the movie was not bad, and not as bad as you can see on some TV shows, but I still don't enjoy watching it with my teenage boys!  

Before my parents passed away, my mom used to spend time in their bedroom while my dad was watching TV in the family room.  He liked to watch R rated action movies on cable (my parents weren't members of the Church).  A lot of those R rated action movies usually have at least one scene with a woman topless (so I've heard).  That scene would always come on screen whenever my mom happened to be walking from their bedroom to the kitchen!  She would always see it.  It never failed.  It's like she had some sort of "topless woman in scene" radar!  And then she would exclaim, "George!  Why are you watching movies like that!" Poor man - he just wanted to see some explosions and killing!  

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

LOL! I cover my eyes for those sorts of scenes. I truly hate them.

kimberly said...

So The Notebook. I really despise that movie. And the book. And Nicholas Sparks in general. I think he kills off a character in every book he writes! That's not romantic. (The official definition of a romance is that the man and woman must end up together.) That's depressing.

I can't even say exactly what it is about that movie that makes me hate it (other than that it's stupid, depressing, poorly acted, and did I mention stupid?), but I really, really do. Maybe it's because I'm not married, maybe it's because there was a serious lack of explosions.

Maybe I just find Alzheimer's depressing and don't want to watch a movie like that. (You know, I don't much care for 50 First Dates either. She can never remember him! How horrible is that?)

Maybe I just think Nicholas Sparks is a gigantic moron who should stop subjecting the world to his crappy books.

I'm leaning towards the last one.

Sarah said...

I don't know much about that Sparks guy, but I'm with you on 50 first dates. That movie gets on my nerves.

Jennifer said...

I actually had to shut off "50 First Dates" because I was offended. That's saying a lot from a girl who likes "Saw II" (EDITED!).

But I still like The Notebook. I they did end up together, remember? Dead in a bed? Romantic!

kimberly said...

Dead in a bed is not romantic, even if they are together!

Mom2 said...

Hi Laura,

I am behind on reading your blog but reading about your mom walking in on the bad parts of movies reminded me of something that happened when we both lived in Kentucky. We were watching a movie, Steel Magnolias I think and Aubrey and Kimmy both walked in when they showed the bare behinds of the guys in the locker room or something and they wanted to know why we watched movies with naked people! Do you remember that?

Rochelle

PS I love almost every Nicholas Sparks book except I don't like when he has someone have an affair. I haven't seen The Notebook but I love Walk to Remember.