Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Things I Have Learned

Having a son in the Dominican Republic has been interesting.  Here are a couple of things I have learned:

1.  Be very leery of using credit cards.  Brian used his at a Burger King.  3 weeks later a fraudulent version of his card was used at 2 gas stations in Texas!  4 months, and much mental anguish later, I finally got the situation resolved and the charges removed.  FYI - make sure you are also authorized on your son's credit card if he is going to a Third World country.  We finally got Brian to send a letter giving me permission to talk to someone about his account.  Until that time, though, I couldn't seem to get them to understand that Brian didn't have easy access to phones or faxes. Nightmare time!

2.  While the USPS is very reliable, the same cannot be said for the Dominican Republic package delivery system. Brian's birthday was in May, so I mailed his package at the end of March.  When did he receive it?  LAST WEEK!!  6-1/2 months after I mailed it!  How crazy is that!?!  On the bright side, he enjoyed the package (it was a nice surprise), and said all the junk food I sent still tasted fine (the wonder of preservatives).  He was surprised to discover that Starbursts actually melt (not that that kept them from eating them)!  I guess I had better get his Christmas package in the mail...

If I learn any other useful tips, I will let you know!

3 comments:

Lori Hurst said...

Laura, dude - I just looked at your time stamps - you have done all this today! Go get some sleep! You make me look lazy.

Anonymous said...

Forgot to say, I really like your layout. It's pretty. (But different than the one I saw this morning?)

Laura said...

Yes, I changed my layout. Actually I have changed it twice since this morning! I think I'm sticking with this one. The blue is me, don't you think?