Friday, October 24, 2008

Scott

Last, but definitely not least, is Scott. He is 4 days short of being 15.  Woo hoo for birthdays!! He is a freshman this year. I must say, it has been a lot easier having both of the boys at the same school.  My life is much simpler (especially with Jeffrey driving).

This picture was taken at a park during Spring Break.  We were there with Jeffrey, my sister, and her 2 kids still at home.  We were basically trying to get the boys out of the house and away from the video games for awhile!  They complained a little (well maybe a lot), but ended up having fun at the park (as evidenced by the picture).  The funniest pictures are the recreations of the classic Titanic pose.  You know the one - Leonardo and Kate standing on the bow with their arms outstretched.  Heather, the only girl left at home, recreated the picture with each of the boys!  If you ask nicely, I may post them sometime....

Scott is also in Band.  Right now he is playing a mellophone, which looks kind of like a trumpet on steroids.  That is the instrument he plays during Marching Band season.  He has decided he really likes the mellophone.  More than he likes his Concert Band season instrument - which is the French horn.  It would be very difficult to march with a French horn, so they use a mellophone during Marching season. But he won't be allowed to play the mellophone during Concert season. It's apparently not a "concert instrument".  He claims to be a better mellophone player than he is a French horn player - saying he doesn't hear pitches very well and has trouble controlling his "embouchure".  Jeffrey and I contend that if he ever actually practiced his French horn, he might realize he is actually a good player....

Scott, in social terms, is somewhere between Jeffrey and Brian.  He does enjoy getting together with friends, but he is terrible with some other social activities.  Such as using the phone.  In his calling as Teacher's Quorum President he often has to call the boys in his quorum.  You would think that he was being asked to call 87 strangers and sing to them with the way he reacts.  I think he will probably stay in that calling until he overcomes his phone phobia, or turns 16 - whichever comes first!

I still find it hard to believe that my baby is (almost) 15.  It seems I was always wishing for him to grow up and be done with elementary school or middle school, but now I realize the time is racing by very quickly.  Before long I will have wished him out of high school, and right out of the house. I guess I need to stop wishing and just enjoy him while he's home.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I still remember Scotty in bubble suits and knee high socks!

At the trunk or treat I gave him candy and he stuck it in his backpack that he had on. I asked him if he forgot to bring a sack and he looked at me and said (in a very annoyed voice), "It's part of my costume." "Oh," I said, "What are you?" "I'M A BAND NERD!!!!"

He said it like I was the dumbest person alive.

It was hilarious.

Laura said...

That's my boy!! Always so polite to grown ups...

kimberly said...

Scotty! I love my baby! Even if he is a punk a lot of the time.

You should have posted the pic of him with all those stuffed fish. The one from the cruisce? That picture cracks me up.

I can def. attest to Scott's horrible phone skills. He's not as bad with me, probably because I'm family, but I can always tell that he's just wishing I would stop talking and hang up!

Jennifer said...

POST THE TITANIC PICTURES!