Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Brian

This is Brian.  He's 20, and my oldest son.  I love this picture of him. It was taken by my sister in August of 2007. Why is Brian riding a scooter in a suit?  Well, the scooter is his cousin's - he was bringing it to BYU.  The suit is because he had already been set apart as a missionary for our Church.  We were in Utah getting ready to drop him off at the Provo MTC (Missionary Training Center) to begin serving his 2 year mission.  He spent 3 weeks in Provo, and was then sent to the Dominican Republic, where he is currently living.  He is serving in the Dominican Republic Santo Domingo West Mission.

It's hard to believe that he has been gone for almost 14 months. What is even harder to believe is how much he has changed.  We get weekly e-mails from him, and after reading one I will sometimes think, "Who is this man, and what has he done with my son?"  Brian's mission has definitely been a growing experience for him.  

He is, however, still a true and proud Texan, and a diehard Texas Aggie!  Whoop!  I guess some things never change!

While I am enjoying this time as a "Missionary Mom", I am looking forward to the day when I can watch him walking toward me in the airport and know that he has returned safely home.  I'm sure a few tears will be shed...

3 comments:

Sarah said...

What a wonderful thing to look forward to. When he gets home he might miss the people there so he can borrow my Dominicans if he needs to :)

Laura said...

He will definitely be very excited to talk to your Dominican!

Anonymous said...

I miss Brian, too! He was at the age where he realized his big sister actually could be a cool person. (GASP!) Or, at least, a fun person to poke fun of. (Oh, wait. All the boys do that.)

But I'm proud of him and know he's doing the right thing. My gosh, though. The time is certainly flying!