Friday, June 19, 2009

Gig "em, Aggies!

Jeffrey and I survived Freshman Orientation at Texas A&M! He is now officially registered for classes.  Whoop!  

Last night we had Yell Practice.  A&M doesn't have cheerleaders.  We have Yell Leaders - five guys from the Corps of Cadets who lead yells, not cheers.  So last night we had Yell Practice, where we practiced the yells.  It was great!  And I got to sing "The Aggie War Hymn" and "The Spirit of Aggieland".  I love those songs and still remember all of the words.  I'm such an Aggie!

Alisha, I found out where "gig 'em" comes from.  In 1930 A&M was playing a football game against TCU - the horned frogs.  At Yell Practice the night before, an Aggie alumnus said they were going to "gig" the horned frogs (gig being a term used in frog hunting).  At the same time he made this sign: 
The hand sign and shout of "gig 'em" caught on and are still used today.  I guess to signify that we are going to "gig" or kill our opponents.  

More than you ever wanted to know about A&M traditions! Whoop!  Gig 'em, Aggies!!

6 comments:

Lori Hurst said...

Nice to be done, isn't it?

Where is Jeffrey living? That was my hardest part since Ryan didn't know anyone and didn't want roomates - and not knowing them seems dangerous - who knows what they are like? so we agreed to that. I didn't sign up for Parents Orientation since I was looking at apartments and narrowing down what Ryan and I would look at - but they said I could go to another one - do you recommend it? Ryan is registered and we got his parking pass today and signed the lease but I am not sure if there are things I should know? Let me know what you think.

Alisha said...

Thank you for the history lesson! It's good to be passionate!

kimberly said...

I knew the gig 'em thing. You could have just asked me!

Laura said...

Lori, Jeffrey is living in a dorm. We decided since he would only be there one year and then leave on his mission, it would be easier to just live in the dorm.

A lot of what I learned had to do with registration - which we did today. Since Ryan already registered, I'm not sure it's worth the time. But UTSA's orientation could be totally different, also. So I don't know. Not very helpful, am I?

Alison said...

I love A&M traditions. That was my favorite part about going to school there. I miss it sometimes.

I can't believe all these boys are leaving for college. My house will be empty and my dishes will never get done ;)

Jennifer said...

I have no good things to say here. So I will just say it is AWESOME that your son is going to college, and that your family has traditions, and that you are so on the ball and get stuff done!