Monday, March 30, 2009

HGTV

I really like HGTV.  Don't ask me why, I just do.  I like to watch the shows featuring couples buying homes.  Here's what I don't understand.  How can young couples (like 25 years old), buying their first home, afford to pay $250,000 or more for a house?  HOW?  There is no way in Hades (note my avoidance of curse words) that Robert and I could have afforded a house like that when we were first married. Heck, we could barely afford the mobile home we paid $19.500 for!  (Yes, we did live in a mobile home - but we weren't no trailer trash!)

Or maybe all of the people on those shows are the ones we are now bailing out because they can't pay their exorbitant mortgages anymore.  

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

I hate HGTV. I used to watch it a lot. Now, I hate narrators, and since that is the crux of the entire network, I am off it. And those fools with the credit to get those houses are surely going to lose them. Sadly, but hey, every house that is foreclosed on was preapproved.

Shel said...

It can be a love/hate thing with HGTV for me cuz it makes me want to do everything to my house and NOW! But I feel you on the whole young people and buying expensive homes thing!! Our first house was a 14x56" wide trailer in a cute trailer park in Murray, Utah and we paid $5,600. And, you know what? We loved our cute little home. The funny thing about it is, that was the best investment ever.. we sold it for $12,000!!! It's craziness!!

Kristie said...

I love to watch HGTV, too. One of my favorite shows is Designers Challenge. I just like to listen for the moment when they annouce their budget to redo one room of there house. There budget is always more than my house was when I bought it. I always wonder if I'm the only one that thinks that is crazy becasue they act like it is so normal to spend $150,000 decorating a living room.

Laura said...

I know, Kristie. I can't watch that show. I have seen it a couple of times, but it's so inconceivable to me. I just can't watch it anymore!

Shel said...

No doubt.. that is bookoo bucks to drop on a redo!

Lori Hurst said...

What's HGTV?

Laura said...

HGTV = Home and Garden Television.