Friday, March 6, 2009

Gardening

I was looking through my book of poems by Edgar A. Guest, and I came across a poem that expresses how I feel about gardening:

"I like to see the flowers grow,
To see the pansies in a row;
I think a well-kept garden's fine,
And wish that such a one were mine;
But one can't have a stock of flowers
Unless he digs and digs for hours.

My ground is always bleak and bare;
The roses do not flourish there.
And where I once sowed poppy seeds
Is now a tangled mass of weeds.
I'm fond of flowers, but admit,
For digging I don't care a bit.

I envy those whose yards are gay,
But never work as hard as they."

That is me.  I would love to have a flower filled yard, but I really dislike the whole process of getting the flowers in the ground.  And I'm not really fond of taking care of the flowers once they are in the ground.  So then they die.  

If I were rich, I would have a gardener so I could have a wondrous garden!

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Ooo, ooo, me too, me too!! And I'm pretty sure I'm getting the stink-eye from the two across the street neighbors who putter in the yard all the live long day.

I feel guilty b/c my kids beg to garden, and I shut 'em down.

Lori Hurst said...

Do you remember Patty Mclendon (I think that was her name - hubby was a police officer). She had the most spectacular backyard - there you were in Townewest, but you walked in her back yard and you were transported to Shangri-la. Then you find out how much time she was out there ... and yeah - our yard is crap. But I want Patty's backyard - maybe one day!

kimberly said...

I hate the outdoors, so no garden for me!

Liz said...

I only wish. Our yard is the red-headed stepchild on the block.

Anonymous said...

My first comment to my sister is - you were reading poetry? Where did that come from? Second, we must both be failures, because mom and dad did have vegetables in the earlier years and flowers in the later years. Oh well, at least we are failures together.

Laura said...

I like this poetry. It's like the stuff that President Monson would quote at General Conference. When I read some of the poems, I can almost hear him reading them!

At least I haven't resorted to using artificial flowers in my front yard!