Thursday, May 7, 2009

Wheat!!

I decided we needed to seriously jump on the food storage bandwagon.  So I ordered 200 pounds of wheat.  Tonight we borrowed the stake's dry pack canner and dry packed our wheat.  Here are my menfolk working hard with the dry packer:
It normally doesn't take 3 people to operate the dry packer. We had to have two because the clamps wouldn't fit on our counter, so the extra person was there to keep the thing from falling off the counter and probably crushing someone's foot (or feet) in the process.  Robert just wanted to be in the picture, he wasn't really helping at all.

Here is one of the 40 cans of wheat we dry packed:  
Isn't it pretty?  

I'm not sure what to do with wheat besides make bread, but at least we have some!  I plan to order more in June and we will do the whole dry packing thing again.  Fun times at the Clutter's house!!

5 comments:

Pops Stargell said...

Glad you guys will be prepared. I'll take wheat off my list now, since you're apparently stocking up for the whole cul de sac!

kimberly said...

So you guys have the corner on wheat?

Just remember that in case of emergency, you'll be stuck feeding me, too. :)

(That's an awesome picture, by the way.)

jamie said...

doesn't it feel good to know you're doing something you know you should even if you don't know what to do with it? kris and i just bought our first truck-load of food storage, too...

Kristie said...

I honestly have no idea what to do with wheat so I've never bought any. It makes me feel quilty to not have any, but I need someone to teach me what I would do with it. Instead I have bought things like the potato pearls, spaghetti, ect. Things I know how to use and of course, all carbs! In a crisis, we will be fat and happy.

Laura said...

Unfortunately, Ben, I think we only have enough wheat to take care of the cul-de-sac for about a week! So you still need to do your part!

Kimberly - corner on wheat! Ha ha ha! I love Pit!