Saturday, May 2, 2009

Grocery Annoyance

I went to the grocery store today.  I got in line behind a lady who had a large order (it was the shortest line).  After they rang up and bagged her whole order, she said she needed to also buy a $100.00 gift card.  Then she said she wanted to use the $100.00 gift card, which she hadn't paid for, to pay for the grocery order because her son's swim team would get 3% back (or something like that).  A manager was called over and after the whole situation was explained again, it was determined the only way she could do what she wanted to do would be to void the entire order, buy the gift card, and RERING THE WHOLE ORDER!  This meant that I had to take all of my stuff off the conveyer belt, so they could put all of her stuff back on the conveyor belt. Needless to say, I just moved to a different lane with all of my stuff that I had to put back in my cart.  

I was not happy.  When the lady said "I bet you hate getting in line behind people like me", I did quietly say, "Yes, I do". 

I understand when things happen at the checkout, but I would think you could figure out that you need to pay for a gift card BEFORE YOU WANT TO USE IT!
   

10 comments:

Sarah said...

I would have lost my religion. If I was the store mananger I would have told her that she either needed to void the whole transaction and wait for the people who already were in line to go ahead of her or just buy the gift card and use it next time.

Kristie said...

I agree with Sarah. That is crazy! If that happened to me today, I would have totally gone off on all of them. I can't believe you were so calm. Of course, for me it just depends on the day.

kimberly said...

Yeah, I wouldn't have quietly told her. Usually you can tell I'm really annoyed, but I just use my phony liberrian smile and say, "It's fine." But that's for little things. Something like this? I'd have complained.

They should have rung up your order first, instead of making you put everything back in your cart. That would have been good customer service.

Jenae said...

What is wrong with people?!? I'm super annoyed for you cuz I had a bad line experience today, too. Stupid stores. If only I was self-sufficient enough to boycott!

Liz said...

AHH! I got mad just reading that! Laura, why didn't you just pretend that lady was the jerk at Sweet Mesquite and give her a piece of your mind!

Laura said...

I will say that Robert and Jeffrey were with me, which probably made me be nicer. Plus we had just come back from getting Jeffrey's Patriarchal Blessing, so I was trying to be civil. I really wanted to be extremely rude!

Alisha said...

Darn spiritual things ruining the mojo of what could have been a seriously smack down-- darn it! :) That would have ticked me right off... I agree with Sarah; why didn't they ring you up first?? DUH! What store was it? I'm writing a letter! lol

jamie said...

self check-out. that's my solution.

Benjamin Hunsaker said...

uh, seriously? If I was the cashier or bagger I would have been mad. I used to be a bagger from when I was 16-17 yrs old and I was way too immature to deal with people like that. They would have gotten an eye roll!

Court said...

Silent scream of frustration for sure. Nice work on the self mastery!