Thursday, April 16, 2009

Tax Day Tea Party

Last night, Robert and I attended the Sugar Land Tax Day Tea Party. It was incredible! I'm so glad we went. I took a bunch of pictures, but I'll just post this one of a portion of the crowd. (If you look to the left, you can see Robert - but don't tell him.)

The event started with a live band playing for about 30 minutes.  We spent that time looking at the handmade signs people were waving.  Some of them were funny, some really made me think, and some made me remember why I was there.  Then we sang the National Anthem, recited the Pledge of Allegiance and Texas Pledge, and had a prayer.  I love that we started with a prayer.  

We heard from a number of speakers, including, but not limited to, our U.S. Representative Pete Olson, Precinct 3 County Commissioner Andy Meyers, and Dr. Neil Frank from Channel 11.  Many of the speakers had inspiring messages to share.  

We sang "God Bless America" and "America, the Beautiful". It gave me chills to sing the songs with the crowd! 

We enjoyed being part of a crowd of people worried about the tax burden being passed on to future generations, and resolved to do something about it.

Our Tea Party was one of about 800 that took place across the United States yesterday.  I felt like we were part of history.  

6 comments:

Shel said...

SaWeetNess!! Of course we were following the coverage of Tax Day Tea Parties on Fox News, but little did we know we would have local Clutter coverage. That's great that you and Robert were able to go out and be a part of the local festivities. I didn't realize they were even having a local one? James will be sooo bummed he was not privy to this info. He would have had to totally skip out on his church calling and a meeting before and after mutual to attend, but he might have had to think that over... hee hee.. just kidding! I on the other hand have been home all week with Daniel and his icky 'pink eye', fooey gooey!

Jennifer said...

Thanks for representing! I am so anti-screwing-my-kids-over.

kimberly said...

I'm green with envy! Wish I could have gone to the one up here, but I was at work. Bah!

Like I said last night, sounds like it was a lot of fun! And, you know, I'd be really grateful if you didn't pass that tax burden down to me.

Liz said...

Good job Laura! We watched all of the coverage. It feels so good to raise your voice! It makes me feel so much less powerless that good people are out there fighting the good fight. We all gotta do out part! Go Clutters! Thanks for representing!

Court said...

Clutters are on the scene! You're stickin' it to the man just like at Sweet Mesquite. Don't mess with Texas and don't mess with LAURA!

Kendall and Lee'sa said...

I'm glad you were able to go as well. I guess we represented our ward well. Haha!