Friday, April 17, 2009

Pop!!

I went to Raising Cane's for lunch today (I love their chicken).  The guy behind the counter asked me if I wanted pop, tea, or lemonade to drink.

Pop!!  I rarely hear soda called pop anymore.  But growing up in Illinois, that's what we called it.  Pop.  I thought it was so strange when we first moved to Texas.  Down here, people seem to call it soda.  Or even stranger, they call EVERYTHING coke!  It doesn't matter what it is.  I don't get that one.

I said to the guy, "You're not from around here, are you?" He admitted he was from up north.  I told him I was from Illinois, and it was nice to hear someone call soda, pop.  He said people sometimes look at him strangely down here, like they don't know what he's talking about!

What about you guys?  What do you call carbonated drinks? Pop?  Soda?  Coke?  Or something else?

8 comments:

Alisha said...

I grew up in Utah where it is called pop. But I moved to the east coast in middle school for a few years where it was called soda. Soda has kind of stuck for me. I think pop sounds ridiculous. But my mom thinks of baking soda when she hears soda. So... I guess there's both sides.

Jenae said...

I'm from California where everything is Coke....even Pepsi! You know you have close friends when you tell them to get you a Coke and they show up with Diet Pepsi!

kimberly said...

POP!

People at the li-berry make fun of me for this all the time. And sometimes people aren't quite paying attention and think I said pot, which just makes it all much more amusing.

But coke is confusing and soda is odd, so POP it will always be!

Rhonda said...

My kids think I'm crazy but it's pop all the way! They insist that it's Coke.

Lori Hurst said...

In Utah is was Pop growing up so I thought soda was weird, but I am used to it now. 'Coke' is just bizarre.

Shel said...

Hmmm, I'm not sure what I say, cuz I usually order whatever is 'diet' on the menu or I think I say I want a drink with my meal, but I have been known to say either/or, they both work for me.

Jennifer said...

Coke. And I mean Coke. It's my pop/soda of choice.

Benjamin Hunsaker said...

I say both. I think I used to say pop until I moved to TX and people wondered what the heck I was saying so then I changed it to soda w/o thinking about it. I have never said coke. Now I want some pop!