Friday, April 3, 2009

Emergency Candles

For years we have had four 100 hour emergency candles. Last September, during Hurricane Ike, we actually used them.  They are really nice.  We only used them one night, but they are still almost full so I have no doubt they would last for 100 hours.  I have been meaning to order twelve more, and finally got around to it last month.  When they came, I noticed the liquid inside was not clear like I ordered, but Christmas red, which I didn't order.  I called the company to tell them.  These candles are $4.50 each, so I thought they should know.  They offered to send me a dozen clear candles for $3.00 each.  I am still paying for and keeping the red candles, but I will also get another dozen candles for 2/3 of the price.  That's a pretty good discount.  So, should we lose our power for any reason, we are all set for candles!  We may have nothing to eat or drink, but we won't be sitting in the dark!

FYI, these don't look like candles.  They are small plastic bottles filled with whatever liquid it is that makes them burn.  They have a wick which you light (kind of like the wick on an old fashioned lamp).  So they are pretty safe to use.

6 comments:

Lori Hurst said...

Cool - we should have something like that. We only have flashlights and a grundle of batteries. Where do you get them?

Laura said...

www.beprepared.com is the website. Emergency Essentials is the name of the company.

Laura said...

Then do a search for "candles". You probably could have figured that out yourself, I imagine.

Shel said...

Hey, we have one or two of those candles... but I can't remember where they are??? Hmmm I think they might be in the 72 hour backpack we have that I didn't even pull out during Ike.. pretty intelligent, huh? I remember going through that backpack when Em was about 15 and finding cute little princess panties that were like size 2T!! I guess it was time to update it, whoops!

Jennifer said...

I have one of those. I am always tempted to use it for 100 hours straight.

Laura said...

If you try it, let us all know how long it lasts.