Friday, September 4, 2009

Way Too Much Drama for a Friday Night

At 8:45, Scott and I went over to GameStop to pick up a drum pedal for our Rock Band drum.  As we were pulling up to the store we saw a guy go running into the store.  I said to Scott, "I wonder what he's running for?"  Scott said, "Maybe he's got something expensive in his car."  We got out of our car and were standing there when three guys ran out of the GameStop.  Wearing dark hoodies.  With the hoods pulled up.  With bandanas covering their faces.  I thought to myself, "This is a robbery."  Then I said, "Scott, get back into the car."  We got in the car and I looked over at the robbers - who were standing by their car, which was parked about 4 cars down from us.  One of them was pointing a gun at our car - more specifically at Scott, who was closest to them.  What really scared me is that he kept looking back at the other two, as if questioning what he should do.  And we didn't know what they might have done to the clerks in the store, so I didn't know what they might be capable of.  Fortunately they jumped in their car and drove off.  After they left, one of the clerks came out.  I asked him if they had just been robbed.  He said they had and asked if we would wait for someone from the sheriff's department to come.  I told him we would wait in the Whataburger parking lot, which was quite crowded, and come back when a deputy showed up.  We waited about 5 minutes for a deputy, and when he came we drove back over.  He asked us to wait outside while he talked to the clerks.  That was a little eerie, but we did it.  Then we talked to the deputy and told him what we had seen.  We were apparently the only ones who saw the car, so we were trying to remember what we'd seen.  Which isn't as easy as you would think it would be.  Then we talked to another deputy, and told our story again.  Then we waited longer while cop cars came and went.  Then we talked to a detective, and told our story for a third time.  We finally got to leave at about 10:30, and boy we were glad to go home.

While it was a terrible experience, I'm kind of glad we showed up when we did.  The robbers ended up leaving, and we might have kept them from harming the clerks.  In fact, while we were waiting, the mother of one of the clerks drove up.  She came up to me and said, "From one mother to another, thank you for showing up when you did.  They might have killed them if you hadn't."  I'm glad we might have prevented a real tragedy.

The real kicker?  I have to go back there tomorrow - we never did get the drum pedal!  I think I'll go during the day... 

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Thankfully, I have never experienced something like that before. I can't imagine what it must've felt like to have someone pointing a gun at one my children (not to mention me, too). So glad you're okay, Laura. They should give you the drum for free.

Lori Hurst said...

As I was clicking on your link, I was thinking the title was a recap of finally getting Brian home.

I am so thankful you are OK. Not an experience I would want to tick off on my 'things that have happened to me' list!

Rhonda said...

Holy cow! You seem so calm about it all. So glad everyone's okay. I agree-the part you came for should be mailed to you for free.

Necia said...

Whoa! I think I may have wet myself if I were in that kind of situation. I am so glad you are both alright. That kid of drama is not the kind many people can handle calmly.

Angela said...

Yikes, that is scary. I can't even handle the news here since there is a lot of crime. I'm glad everyone was safe. btw, it must be great to have your son back from the field!

Jennifer said...

OH.
MY.
GOSH.

What in the...? That is terrifying! I am SO glad y'all are okay! I cannot even believe it. Thank goodness it turned out the way it did!

Man, seriously. That is scary. I am SO SO glad you are fine.

Kristie said...

I can't even believe that happened right by my house!! Holy Cow!! I am so glad that it worked out the way it did! Love you and loved seeing you with Brian on Sunday - you were beaming!

Court said...

Dang girl. You gotta start packin' to go out these days! So glad y'all are safe and unscathed. I'm sure that mom was extremely grateful that you showed up when you did.

jamie said...

yikes! i can't even imagine. SO glad you guys are ok!