Sunday, August 2, 2009

Summer's Over

"What?" you say.  "Summer's not over - school doesn't start for 3 more weeks."  Well, that's only if you're not in Marching Band.  If you are Marching Band in most of the schools in the area, Summer Band Camp starts tomorrow. And it doesn't just start.  Oh, no.  It takes over our lives. In the next 9 out of 11 days, Scott will be at Band for 81 hours. Yes, that's right, 81 hours!!  9 hours a day.  And it's not just the 9 hours a day I object to, it's the schedule.  First I drop him off at 8:00a.m., then I pick him up at 3:00p.m., then I drop him off at 6:30p.m., then I pick him up at 8:30p.m. Do they think I have nothing better to do with my day than take Scott to and from and to and from the school?  Apparently they do.  Thank heavens the teachers have meetings the week before school - they can only have Band from 4:30 to 8:30 those days.  Only 20 hours that week - how lucky we are.  Scott is looking forward to school starting on the 24th, just so Summer Band Camp will be over.  I think that's a sad end to summer.

I think I'll do a poll.  In the comments section tell me if you think 101 hours of Marching Band in 3 weeks is too much, and if my tirade above is justified.        

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

Justified! Geez Louise! Does anyone even go into Professional Marching Band? Is that a degree? Or a job? It's excessive.

Kristie said...

Totally Justified. People keep calling Devon to let him know that Summer Band Camp starts today and he isn't signed up to be in band because he didn't want to do Summer Band Camp. I don't blame him.

Yes, Jennifer, some people keep doing it. My sister has two nephews who are in the BYU Marching Band and they are majoring in music. Their dream is to direct their own marching band one day. Crazy, huh?

Alison said...

Ewwww that is ridiculous! 101 hours of band camp?!?!? I was in band in high school and we only have practice at night so I actually kinda liked it.

And yes, people do go on with band. I had a friend go to college and became a band director.

Rhonda said...

Okay, I'm feeling a little better about Zach's summer band practices. He's had various practices throughout the summer but the intense part starts tomorrow. He does the all day thing for 2 weeks as well, but no evening practices, thank goodness! The band nazis (as we so lovingly call them) even have the gall to tell us when we should take our summer vacations! But the thing that gets me the most is that just to have the privilige of being in band we have to pay $500 per year. Does not even include all the extra uniform misc. and food, etc. They are going to London in January and are asking close to $3000 for that--not happening in our household!!!

Liz said...

It's too much!!! Those drop off and pick up times are ridiculous!! You are SOOOO justified! Now I know why those kids are all so skinny and tan!

Shel said...

I was dragging this morning that's Fo Sure!!! But as many of you know... James was pumped!!! He loves his band!! He and Scott crack me up, cuz James is a lover and Scott, not so much... they are funny to listen to! I'm sure he will be drained, since he was not physically ready for this, though. I do hate it that my summer is essentially 'over' :(

Court said...

I did this. And yes, it is excessive.

Jenae said...

All that work and they still tried to stiff the band with only one page in the yearbook! That's crazy. Marching Band gives the term "two-a-days" a whole new meaning!

jamie said...

that sounds a little out of control to me. not even club gymnastics is that intense!