Friday, August 21, 2009

A Letter to My Parents

Dear Mom and Dad,


Today, August 21st, is the anniversary of the day that both of you died - Mom, you on August 21, 1999, and Dad, you on August 21, 2005.  I still miss you both very much.


Mom, you have been gone for 10 years.  In some ways, it seems inconceivable that you have been gone that long.  But, it also seems like you have been gone so long that you are only a distant memory.  That makes me sad.  I do remember your frequent phone calls.  Back then I sometimes thought you called too frequently, but how I wish I could hear your voice one more time.  I remember going out to dinner with you at JoJos.  Chris and you and I would bravely take the eight grandkids over there to eat.  At the time, seven of them were under the age of 8.  We were always amazed at just how quickly our food made it to the table!  I remember how you loved to watch your grandkids play.  Your physical problems made it hard for you to play with them, but you were always happy when you could just watch them play together.


Dad, you have been gone for 4 years.  My memories of you are fresher, but they are also fading.  I remember your infrequent phone calls.  I would answer the phone, and you would say, “Laura.  This is your father speaking.”  Like I wouldn’t have recognized your voice.  I remember going to eat with you at your favorite restaurant - The Stables.  They made great steaks, and, more important as far as you were concerned, they made an excellent extra dry martini!  I remember how proud you were of your grandkids.  You enjoyed them when they were small, but you truly enjoyed them as they got older and could really talk to you.  You lived long enough to see Kimberly graduate from Texas A&M, and I know that thrilled you.  Your grandkids have all inherited your love for education.  They are making you proud!


Mom and Dad, I miss you.  But I take great joy in knowing that two years ago we did your work for you in the temple.  Chris and I were able to be sealed to you.  I hope that you have accepted that work so that we can be an eternal family.


I will be thinking about you today.   


Love,

Laura  

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

That was a lovely letter. I feel sad that both of your parents have passed away. I'll be thinking of you and your sister.

Kristie said...

Beauuutiful letter. It is so great that you were able to do their work for them in the temple. I bet that was an emotional day! Love ya and will be thinking of you today.

Rhonda said...

Wow--you've inspired me to call my parents today. That was beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Beautifully said, Laurie. You captured some of the daily, but very special memories of mom and dad. We were very blessed to have them as our parents. Thanks for writing your thoughts. Love, Your Big Sister, Christine (as dad would call me)

Shel said...

That was a very sweet and heartfelt letter to your parents! Thank you for sharing it. You are an inspiration, a wonderful example and a tremendously special friend to me!

Love ya',

Shel-

Lori Hurst said...

Beautiful letter. I hope your day was full of happy memories of your parents.

Liz said...

Thank you for sharing that sweet tribute, Laura. What a special labor of love that temple work would have been. The more time I spend in the temple, the more I feel like there are few who will reject it. Thinking of you today:)

Court said...

Anniversaries can be joyous and sorrowful. I'm envisioning a very special family reunion for you in the future. Happy day. :)