Thursday, August 6, 2009

Line Etiquette

Today Robert and I went to Pappas Barbecue for lunch.  For those of you who have never been there, everyone gets in one line which moves along until it's your turn to order. They are pretty quick there, so the wait isn't long.  Today we got in line behind about a dozen people, including the man in front of us who was alone.  After a few minutes there was probably another 8 people in line behind us. Suddenly, 3 people came in the door and walked up and joined the man in line in front of us.  I wasn't upset - we weren't in a hurry.  But that made me think about line etiquette.

How many people is it okay to hold a place in line for?  If it had been 3 people in line and one joined them, I think that's fine.  I think one person being joined by 3 others is kind of pushing it.  I think the 3 should have just waited their turn.  

What do you think?  

6 comments:

Liz said...

I agree. Saving a spot for one is the max. You didn't yell, "Cutter, cutter, peanut butter?" Laura Clutter!

Laura said...

I have never heard that, Liz! I will remember it for next time!

Kristie said...

I have been known to save a place in line for more people. Now I am feeling guilty.

I was annoyed at Walmart the other day though. I got behind a teenager that had one item - the lines were super long - and right at the time that he got to the front of the line his mother came up with a whole basket of stuff. I think the most annoying part was that it was the 20 item or less line and she had more!

So I guess now I need to watch my line etiguette.

Lori Hurst said...

I wouldn't have thought twice about one person saving for 3 maybe if an entire school class came - but not for 3. It's just me though.

We sometimes save, but just for who ever is driving while they are parking the car.

kimberly said...

I always feel guilty when we save spots in line for a few people at midnight movies.

Actually, at HP there was one person in line and then 5 of us showed up. We were near the end of the line anyway (at that point), so we all just moved rather than risk fan wrath.

And in line for the GIANT BUTTON OF AWESOME at NKOTB, these 4 girls cut in front to stand with their friend. That really irked me. Jerks.

Jennifer said...

I think that perhaps there is no hard and fast ruling for me. It's situational, really. Like saving a pew (KIDDING!)

Holding a place in the grocery line is a-ok by me. Though express lanes should be respected, regardless.

I think 3 would be my limit on food lines. Two couples. Dining together. Makes sense. More than that would irk me. (Actually, 3 would probably irk me, but I'd accept it as the limit).

Saving movie seats is a different story altogether. You can save for people in the bathroom and the concession line. You can only save for absent people if it is 2 or less. Otherwise, you are just selfish. Like other people don't want to sit together. Geez.

Um, I'm guilty of breaking all these rules. But that doens't stop me from being irritated anyway.