Monday, November 3, 2008

This Made Me Happy!

Kimberly and I went to an antique store when we went to Old Town Spring.  They had a copy of the book "Just Folks" by Edgar A. Guest.  It wasn't in the best of shape, and the price was $20.00.  I passed on it.  I came home that day and looked for the book on Amazon.com.  I found the same book for $1.03 plus $3.99 shipping.  $5.02!!  A quarter of the price of the other book.  Naturally I snatched it up.  I just got it in the mail on Saturday, and I am so pleased!  It's the same edition as the other one, but as you can see, it looks brand new!  I love Amazon.com!

Edgar A. Guest writes poems.  He writes the kind of poems that President Monson quotes.  I'm such a sap, I love those kind of poems!  Here's an example:

The First Steps

Last night I held my arms to you
And you held yours to mine
And started out to march to me
As any soldier fine.
You lifted up your little feet
You laughingly advanced;
And I stood there and gazed upon
Your first wee steps, entranced.

You gooed and gurgled as you came
Without a sign of fear;
As though you knew, your journey o'er,
I'd greet you with a cheer.
And, what is more, you seemed to know,
Although you are so small,
That I was there, with eager arms,
To save you from a fall.

Three tiny steps you took, and then,
Disaster and dismay!
Your over-confidence had led
Your little feet astray.
You did not see what we could see
Nor fear what us alarms;
You stumbled, but ere you could fall
I caught you in my arms.

You little tyke, in days to come
You'll bravely walk alone.
And you may leave to wander paths
Where dangers lurk unknown.
And, Oh, I pray that then, as now,
When accidents befall
You'll still remember that I'm near
To save you from a fall.

Simple poems with a beautiful message.  I love them.  I'm really quite a simple girl at heart.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'm a sap for that stuff, too. Plus, I could totally hear Monson's voice in my head as I read.

kimberly said...

So as I was reading that poem I could just hear President Monson reading it, every inflection, every pause, every emotion-filled word.

So pretty! And this stuff always makes me teary.

Sarah said...

I have a book titled "Favorite Quotations from the Collection of Thomas S. Monson". It was printed in 1985 and there are so many poems by Edgar A. Guest in it. I'd never heard of him before but I love his poems in that book.

Laura said...

Edgar A. Guest sounds like Pres. Monson's poet!

Leslie said...

what a wonderful treasure for you!

Shel said...

Way to go, Laura, finding the deal!!! That's awesome... Beautiful poem, too!