Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Lugano, Switzerland

On New Year's Day we drove to Lugano, Switzerland, which is a town right across the Italian border. We went because Brian and Kimberly wanted to say they had been to Switzerland, and Kimberly was leaving the next day so this was our only chance. It wasn't the best day to go, because the majority of the stores in the town were closed. But the Swiss Army knife store was open, which was all that was important to Scott!

Lugano is situated on a lake and is surrounded by mountains. Here's a picture I took while standing on the sidewalk that runs along the lake shore. The picture doesn't really do the scenery justice. Lugano is really a beautiful city in a very picturesque location.
Since nothing much was open, we walked along the lakefront admiring the view. I had to take a picture of the pretty mallard duck. Pretty, unlike the ducks in Texas with their strange red growths.
While we didn't take the time to play a game of full size chess, Kimberly did want her picture taken. Perhaps to fool her friends into thinking she had actually played a game of chess.
After stopping at the Swiss Army knife store to buy Scott a knife and buy presents for my sister's boys (because who wouldn't want a Swiss Army knife from Switzerland) we had a lovely lunch at a delightful place we like to call "il Burger King". It's amazing how wonderful their chicken nuggets and fries can taste when you haven't eaten American fast food in a while!

Before leaving Lugano, Robert insisted on taking pictures - with me in them. Those of you who know me know that I avoid having my picture taken at all costs. Surprisingly, there was even a picture that I liked! That hasn't happened in a while!
Lugano was a fun place to visit. I would like to go back when more stores are open. I've also been told it's the place to go if you want to score some cheddar cheese and sour cream - two items not found in Milan.

3 comments:

Alisha said...

You never post pictures of yourself on your blog-- I love that there is one now! Such a great picture of you & your kids! Your visit looks like it was wonderful!

Jenae said...

That is a great picture of you!! Love it, you need to post more. Glad you got to visit an authentic Swiss Army Knife shop and a little Burger King all in one day. :)

kimberly said...

I'd totally forgotten about the giant chess set because it is not on my camera. Lugano was so pretty!

(I really miss that chicken sandwich. Still. I want one.)