Thursday, March 17, 2011

Como, Italy

On January 22nd, Robert and I took the train to Como, which is located at the tip of Lake Como. We probably could have driven there faster, but we wanted to try out the trains. It was a nice trip, although we made so many stops that the train never got going very fast. But we were dropped off in the center of town, which was nice.

As we strolled along the lakefront, we saw mallard ducks, plus a few swans. Swans are such beautiful birds, although I recall being chased by one while I was in high school, so it's best to keep your distance from them!
We rode a funicular up the side of a mountain to a tiny village. Here it is, pictured in all of it's funicular glory.
Here's view of Como, taken from the funicular. It's funny, it was sunny in both Como and Lugano, yet the pictures I took in both places all look like there's some sort of haze.
After riding the funicular back down the mountain, we walked back into the city center and saw Como's duomo (large church). It was pretty, but less flashy than most of the duomos we've seen.
We were going to do some shopping, but even though this is a tourist town and it was Saturday afternoon, the shops all closed for a few hours in the afternoon. I will never get used to that, as long as I live here.

Como was a nice town to visit. I would like to go back and take the boat to Bellagio. I've heard it's beautiful there. We're waiting until April though, because we had friends who went to Bellagio the week before we went to Como, and they said everything was closed for the winter.

My only regret? Not running into George Clooney, who owns a villa on Lake Como somewhere.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

funicular glory, ha ha!

Court said...

I wish I were at Lake Como RIGHT now. I really think it's my kind of vacation spot.