Wednesday, July 8, 2009

A Question

We have a problem with sugar ants.  They like our cat food (which has no sugar in it - go figure).  We get rid of them for a while, and then they come back.    

I have no problem with squashing the little buggers when I see them. I have noticed, though, that when I kill one, if there are any others around, they start to run.  It's like they know that one of their little buddies has been killed.

Here's my question.  Do you think the squished ant lets out a little dying scream which can only be heard by other ants? Is that why they run?  Have they been alerted?  "GIANT FINGER ABOVE!!  RUN QUICKLY BACK INTO THE WALL!!"  

What do you guys think?  Or am I just going crazy?

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Ants are the true alien life force of earth. They are psychic I swear to you. You stab a stick into one side of an ant pile, and every damn ant in the hill pours out SIMULTANEOUSLY. What's up with that?

Kristie said...

Are we really talking about ants?? I hate all bugs and even the mention of ants gives me goose bumps!

Lori Hurst said...

I don't know if they let out a little scream or not, but just envisioning it has sort of made my day!

kimberly said...

I live to make ants scream. Little dying screams.

Mwahahaha

Alison said...

Oh they scream alright. We used to have them in our bathroom and I would spray windex on them. Kills them and it doesn't stink!