Saturday, July 25, 2009

I Feel Good!

Robert, Scott, and I, along with Devon T., spent the morning volunteering at the Houston Food Bank.  The boys were finishing up a requirement for the Citizenship in the Community merit badge.

I'm so glad we went.  We spent the morning pulling food orders for different churches and other organizations in the city.  The boys and Robert did the actual box toting.  I did all the writing and the label sticking.  The label sticking actually required a lot of bending and stooping, so it wasn't as easy as it sounds.  

This was one of those times I wish I had brought my pedometer.  I always remember it AFTER I've finished an activity involving a lot of walking!  We walked a lot.  It would have been nice to know how many steps we actually took.

The only bad part?  The warehouse isn't air conditioned. There were random fans throughout the place, but it was still hot in there.  We were all a sweaty mess by the time we left!  It was definitely a two shower day!

My feet are sore (my sneakers aren't as comfortable as my Keens, but they're close toed), and I was smelly (remedied by a nice shower), but it was a great way to spend a Saturday morning!

7 comments:

Shel said...

No A/C, ikes... You all are amazingly awesome!! Way to go!

Jennifer said...

Way to go!

Court said...

Texas is full of 2 shower days for me too! Y'all are awesome for getting the job done. Good work y'all!

Kristie said...

Thanks so much for taking Devon along with you this morning. You are awesome that you made it through without A/C. I think I would have passed out. Thanks also for always letting Jeffrey drive him home at all hours of the night. I turn into a pumpkin at about 10 and if I had to come get him, he would have to just stay.

Laura said...

Kristie, I don't know what we are all going to do when Jeffrey goes to college in the fall! Who will drive our boys places?

jamie said...

nothing like service for a pick-me-up. i need to get myself a project.

Lori Hurst said...

Impressed! Especially without A/C! I need to get doing stuff like this now that I have time - the puking and getting ill when over doing it makes me cautious - so I always feel evil! Way to go!