Monday, April 12, 2010

R.I.P. Clarissa (the Guinea Pig)

We have had two guinea pigs for a long time. We've had one of them, Clarissa, a few weeks shy of 7 years. When we bought the guinea pigs we didn't anticipate them living for more than 2 or 3 years. I will be the first to admit that we had grown tired of them. They were kind of smelly, and very noisy and demanding. But we kept on taking good care of them, while murmuring under our breath.

This morning, Jeffrey went to feed the girls, and discovered that Clarissa had died. I think we were both surprised at how sad we felt. Much sadder than we thought we would feel. I can't really say that we will miss her, but it was sad to find her gone.

Here's a picture of Clarissa shortly after we got her. Bailey was fascinated with her, although she never tried to hurt her. She just liked to look at her.


I'm a little worried about our remaining guinea pig, Charley. She is actually Clarissa's daughter, having been born in November of 2003 (which is another story in and of itself), and has never been without her Mom. I'm not sure how she is going to do by herself.

R.I.P. Clarissa. As guinea pigs go, you were a good one.

7 comments:

Kristie said...

Was your guinea pig pregnant when you got her??? or did you intentionally mate a guinea pig?

Laura said...

When we got Clarissa we were told he (she) was a male. We originally named him (her) Clay. He (she) was named after Clay Aiken, because his (her) hair kind of looked like his. Kind of fitting he (she) turned out to be a girl, huh? A month or so later we got another male guinea pig, Pippin, to keep Clay (or who we thought was Clay) company. A few months later Scott looked in the cage and saw a baby guinea pig. That's when we discovered Clay was really Clarissa. And she and Pippin were quickly and forever separated! And that's how we ended up with a mother and daughter guinea pig.

kimberly said...

I can't honestly say I'll miss Clarissa at all. And, if I do end up house/pet sitting, one less guinea pig is FANTASTIC.

I can say with complete conviction that I will never, never, NEVER own a caged animal. Ever.

Still, I suppose it's sad she's gone...

Alison said...

Oh my goodness. Jeffrey, Jen and I were JUST talking about your guinea pigs at the baptism on saturday and how he was for sure he would find one dead one day soon. I didn't know it would be this soon. Sad day :(

Court said...

Going on 7 years is a great gig for guinea pigs. Nice run, Clay/Clarissa.

Lori Hurst said...

Did y'all have a little shoe box burial in the back yard or just dump him/her in the dumpster?

You know, don't tell me ... I have y'all having a LOVELY service - complete with a solo by Laura in the backyard ... don't spoil it .... (Jeffrey gives an emotional talk ...)

Rhonda said...

I think I actually met Clarissa before we moved. My sincerest condolences. Parker's Ball Python had to visit the vet the other day. I'll spare the gory details but he had a parasite that had to be treated. I was secretly hoping it would be the end.....but antibiotics seem to be doing the trick.