Monday, April 26, 2010

Elder Clutter

It's 1:36 A.M. and I am still up. I have been busy. I've been doing last minute laundry, washing dishes, hemming pants, and packing. Getting organized for tomorrow.

Tomorrow. The day Jeffrey and I leave for Salt Lake City. Only he's not just Jeffrey anymore. Now he's Elder Clutter, having been set apart as a full-time missionary by our Stake President. Having been set apart to serve for 24 months. That's one of the things that has to be said during the blessing. 24 months. 2 years. That's a long time.

I'd been doing all right. Then we went over and listened to the end of the Youth Conference testimony meeting so he could be set apart once it was over. For the closing song we sang "The EFY Medley". If you've never heard it, it's a great song. It's sung in Women's and Men's parts. The men sing the song "We'll Bring the World His Truth". This is part of what they sing: "We are as the army of Helaman. We have been taught in our youth. And we will be the Lord's missionaries to bring the world His truth." I looked at Shelley and Kristie, who were both crying, as was I. I could hear Jeffrey singing, and it was all so real. He has now been set apart as one of the Lord's missonaries, and he will be leaving soon to begin his mission.

I know he's ready to serve. So ready. I will let him go willingly, but I'm sure going to miss him. This would be a lot easier if Robert were here.

It's now 1:55 A.M. I'm sitting here crying. Sometimes it's hard to be a mom - even when you know your son is making the right choice.

5 comments:

Lori Hurst said...

Beautifully put.

I hope everything goes as smoothly as possible for you - I am so sorry Robert is not there to help.

Let me know if you need anything done here while you are gone ...

Jennifer said...

I love you so much.

Court said...

You are a great mom. And Elder Clutter will be a fantastic missionary.

Have a safe trip and we'll see you soon!!

Kristie said...

This post made me ball again! Elder Clutter looked sooooo handsome last night and so ready to go serve the Lord. Him singing that song was the icing on the cake - He is a missionary already!

Liz said...

now i'm sitting here crying. it IS hard to be a mom sometimes. thank you for the mom you are. jeffrey will change a lot of lives. he is a special guy. and you are a good example to us other mommies. praying for y'alls safe trip and can't wait to hear about it.