Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Demise of Jeffrey's Car

On Monday, Jeffrey was in a car accident. He was on 99 driving behind three other cars when the driver of the first car slammed on his brakes because he saw a tiny pool of water in the middle of the road. Everyone else slammed on their brakes, but since Jeffrey's car is old, and his brakes aren't the greatest, he ran into the back of the car in front of him. Fortunately, those were the only two cars involved in the accident. Also fortunately, both he and the other driver were fine. And fortunately again, the other driver's car was not seriously damaged - it looks like just the back bumper will need to be replaced.

Unfortunately, Jeffrey's car did not fare so well. See for yourself:

Sad

So, so sad.

Seeing as how we only have liability on that car, I do believe it is headed for the car graveyard. It would cost way more to fix then it is worth.

This causes a problem. We really need two cars. But we only need two cars until the end of April. It takes Jeffrey 35 to 40 minutes to drive to work. I don't have the time (or the inclination) to drive him to and from work every day. And I need my van. I can't let him take my van to work every day. We thought about buying a cheap car, but then we would have to worry about it breaking down and all the hassles that would entail.

So what's the solution? A rental car for me! Until the end of April I will be driving this 2010 Hyundai Sante Fe:

I decided to rent a small SUV because when I do get rid of the van someday, I think I would like a small SUV. This gives me the chance to try one out for a while and see what I really think of it. So far, it seems pretty nice. The fact that it has satellite radio doesn't hurt either! I think I'm going to enjoy this next 7 weeks. And I know Jeffrey is going to enjoy driving my van!

1994 Chrylser New Yorker, we bid you a fond farewell. I always thought you were hideous, but for some strange reason the boys loved you. You served us well. R.I.P.

14 comments:

Kristie said...

Sooo sad. What's Scott going to drive when he gets his license? You may need to buy that little SUV now and make Scott drive the van. Did Robert take his car with him? I never wondered where his car was until now.

Lori Hurst said...

I'm sorry he was in an accident - never fun - but great no one was hurt ...

Shel said...

R.I.P.

I said it when I saw it yesterday and I still think that it looks like the poor car has a sad face.

I dig your new ride!

Laura said...

Kristie, if we are still here when Scott gets his license, then we will buy him something used and small. But if we're gone, we won't need a car for him. Brian has Robert's car at A&M. And as much as he loved the Chrysler, he has come to realize the FJ Cruiser is MUCH cooler!

Rhonda said...

Ouch! I definitely feel your pain and can totally relate. We never get liability on the kids' car but when they total it it really, really stinks. So glad he was okay.

Rhonda said...

Oops...meant to say we ONLY get liability on their car.

jamie said...

glad everyone is ok. and i love the mini suvs! enjoy!

Alison said...

Aww that is so sad. But I'm glad that no one was hurt and that it wasn't worse! And I bet you look GOOD in that SUV!! :)

Unknown said...

Life is messy. Good thing you have such a great attitude. And glad everyone's okay.

Anonymous said...

I never should have let him touch that car. Everytime he did he hurt it a little more.

kimberly said...

Ah, the boat. I won't really miss it.

So I think we've had our quota of car accidents in the last three months. Let's put a stop to that, m'kay?

Ha, you're driving a Hyundai. Ah, the irony...

Lil' Richards said...

I was devistated when Jeffrey told me later that day. So many precious memories in that old car, she had character. I think it's safe to say a piece of everyone of the old priest group died with her...

Court said...

You DID look good as you drove by in your mini-SUV today!

Benjamin Hunsaker said...

wow, that's cool that you get to "test" drive the little SUV for a while. We thought about buying a car once and then decided on another. Then we had a rental of that car we were going to buy and we were so happy we did not buy it b/c it bugged! anyway, there was no point to that story, I just wanted to blab. Glad Jeffrery is all right though!