Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Genealogy Surprise

For years my sister and I, who are both converts, have teased each other about who needed to do our family history. We managed to compile the information on our parents and grandparents, and we have done that temple work. That's a start, but we have a lot more to do.

A couple of months ago, I looked at the new Family Search website and updated what information I had. A few weeks ago, my sister told me that her daughter had found more information on the website. I didn't think much of it, until a commercial for ancestry.com got me thinking about genealogy, and I decided to look at the Family Search website again.

I pulled up my family tree, and what did I find? Not just my mother's parents, which was what I had seen a few months ago. I also found my mother's grandparents AND my mother's great-grandparents AND one great-great-grandmother and -grandfather! Two more whole generations plus part of a third generation!! What an incredible sight to see!

I am grateful to my uncle (who was married to my mom's sister) for submitting the names. Now that I know those names are there, I will be making plans to have their temple work done. And there is nothing sweeter than doing temple work for your own family.

4 comments:

Court said...

Such a sweet blessing!

Unknown said...

That's cool. What a nice surprise!

Jennifer said...

Woo hoo! Welcome, Family!

Kristie said...

That is soooo neat. You know that my whole family is converts, too, but when I looked at the new family search, I found a bunch of our relatives as well. Only difference is that all of their work had been done - in the Salt Lake Temple in the early 1900's. So now I just need to figure out who were the members that are my ancestors. Too weird, huh?