Saturday, September 24, 2011

A Small World

Today I had the opportunity to go see Gladys Knight and the Saints United Voices Choir. (That could be a post all on it's own. They were truly amazing.)

I was sitting next to an older woman. She turned and said, "You look familiar. I feel like I should know you". She didn't really look familiar to me (I'm terrible at recognizing people), but I told her my name.

She got an excited look on her face and said her name was Jeanette Matis. Her husband had been the bishop of our student ward at Texas A&M when I was there 30+ years ago!

When her husband turned to face us (he had been talking to the friend they brought), I immediately recognized him. He looks pretty much the same - just older.

It was so much fun to talk to them and catch up on their family. I told them about our family, and we talked about other students who had been there when Robert and I were there.

I have a special place in my heart for Bishop Matis. He made it a point to go to the weddings of any members of the ward who got married. Remember, this was when the closest temple was in Mesa, Arizona. So no wedding was close. That year at least 10 couples got married, and he made it to every wedding.

Our wedding was in Manti, Utah, so it wasn't easy for him to come to it. But he did. And I'm so grateful to him. My parents aren't members, so he was like a father figure for me there.

I told them both today how grateful I was that he had come to our wedding. I wanted them to know that the sacrifice he made, back when he had still had young children at home, was still remembered by someone - 30 years later.

I love how, in the church, you never know how or where you might run into someone from your past.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure he still lives in College Station and was the high council speaker in our ward a month or two ago.

Lori Hurst said...

What a wonderful post! How exciting to see someone so special after all those years ...

I am so impressed that he attended all of the weddings. In your talk at church, you talked about getting married and that your parents were not there. It struck me as so very sad ... on the most exciting day of your life, and doing what our Heavenly Father wants us to do, that a very large, very special piece was missing. I felt so bad for you ... sitting there in church ... 30 years too late to help make it better - so I am happy to know that someone was with you that day!

What a wonderful couple!

Alisha said...

What a wonderful opportunity, both to go to the concert & to run into Sis. Matis. I don't believe that sort of thing is an accident. The opportunity to offer thanks to someone that did something special for you is truly a gift!

Laura said...

Brian, they do still live in College Station and he is on the high council. So he probably did speak in your ward.