Wednesday, September 14, 2011

DPS Woes

So we're in the process of trying to get Scott his driver's license. As I've mentioned before, our year in Italy put us behind schedule.

Scott has finished the online class and his hours of required driving. Today we went down to the DPS to schedule an appointment for him to take his driving test. Yes, you do have to go down to the DPS to schedule an appointment. Seems a little crazy to me.

Scott is the first of my kids to have to take a driving test. In Texas, parents used to be able to sign a form saying they didn't want their child to have to take a driving test. You would just go down when all of the work was completed, and your child would be given a driver's license. Much simpler. But they changed that rule a couple of years ago.

So off we went to the DPS. Anyone who has been to the DPS knows that there's a very good chance you're going to wait one, two, or even three hours in line. I had a book and was prepared to wait. Imagine my surprise when we pulled into an almost empty parking lot. And walked into an almost empty waiting room. And waited only a couple of minutes for our turn.

Too bad the wait for an appointment for a driving test isn't that short. I knew we would have to wait, but I am still a little disbelieving as to just how long the wait is.

Is it one week? Nope.

Is it two weeks? Guess again!

Is it three weeks? I wish!

Is it four weeks? No sir-ee.

Is it five weeks? Getting closer.

Is it six weeks? Ding, ding, ding!

That's right. Scott's appointment is six weeks from today. SIX WEEKS!

Does anyone else think that's excessive?

I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing to make teenagers take a driving test. But if you're going to make that change - ADD MORE PERSONNEL!!

Okay, my DPS rant is now over. Until the next time I think about how long we have to wait and I have to keep driving Scott places...

3 comments:

Kristie said...

I am right there waiting with you!!! But Devon's wait was ONLY a month - I say ONLY because I can't even handle that. And heaven forbid he fails the test - how long do we have to wait then. I failed my first test when I was 16 and I got to take it the next day, so you can see why I am worried - he better just pass. I need a driver!!!

Rhonda said...

I guess the phone call to make the appointment and then the 3 week wait were a piece of cake for Zach. I can't believe the difference it has made for me for him to be driving. Such a huge burden lifted!

Mom2 said...

The last time we had a new driver in Illinois we just had to show up at the DMV (after she had taken a driver's ed class and finished her driving with them and her 50 hours driving with us) and wait in line and then she took the driving test that day. She had taken the written test the first day of driver's ed class to get her permit. If you don't pass you just go back another day. Dave's sister lives in Wisconsin and they have to call and get an appointment for the driving test and it is weeks or months out depending on the location!! If you don't pass you have to call and do it all over again with the same long wait. Crazy!