Thursday, September 16, 2010

Positively Medieval

We finally got an apartment! We will officially be moving out of the hotel on Saturday. It will be nice to be in a place of our own, although I have no idea how long it will take us to get the internet hooked up. I may go crazy while I wait for that.

Yesterday afternoon Robert and I met with the realtor (because apartments here are rented through realtors) and picked up the apartment keys. We were given about 5 keys. All of them were kind of old fashioned looking, but we were most intrigued by this one:
I didn't even know anyone still used keys like this - except in a castle or old cemetery. But this is a pretty typical apartment key in this area.

I didn't have a ruler with inches, but I measured it in centimeters and converted the length. The key is 4-1/2 inches long! Craziness!

You sure don't want to carry these keys in your pocket!

9 comments:

Kristie said...

Yay for the apartment!! That key is so cute, but I would die not being able to carry it in my pocket.

Court said...

I'm so happy for you! And that key is totally old school. You're so lucky to be on such an awesome adventure!

Jennifer said...

Ha ha - that is so funny! Gotta love Italy, right? Congratulations on finding a home - can't wait for pictures. Does it have a dryer?

kimberly said...

I adore that key! All houses should have keys like that. (I can say that because I never put keys in my pocket.)

Yay for apartments!

Rhonda said...

Hey, it's going to be harder to lose a key that big! Here's hoping for a speedy internet hook up.

Lori Hurst said...

We had a funky key to our house in Norway - it was very old fashioned and quaint. When we moved I asked Hans if he would let me keep it and he said yes! I should go wander around the place sometime.

I would love to see / hear about your apartment. I hope your adventures are going well!

Debbie and Boys said...

Love the key! At least you'll have a weapon to protect yourself! j/k
I have no clue how one would adjust in a new COUNTRY with very little in common with the neighbors. Hope you're enjoying the adventure.
Thanks for your comment on my blog. I loved hearing your voice in the words...so Laura!

Liz said...

that may just be the only key i wouldn't lose...i said maybe! miss u;)

Shel said...

That key is sooo cool!! I bet you are getting all settled in right now and going bonkers without internet :( We miss you and can't wait to hear how the new apartment is!