Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Duomo - Part 2

After seeing what the Duomo had to offer from the ground, we decided to venture up to the roof. There were 2 ways to the roof - 165 stairs or an elevator. Robert and I chose the elevator, while Scott chose the stairs. As it was, the elevator only took us close to the roof, we still had to walk another 80 steps to get to the roof. And that was enough stairs for me!

There were a lot of interesting statues on the roof, or actually hanging off the roof. I really liked this one, which looks like a winged dog. I'm not sure why he would be on the Duomo, but he was intriguing.
This view is from the lower roof, looking through the spires. You can see that all of the spires have a figure on the top of them. In fact, the very highest spire has a gold figure on top. I thought that was interesting.
Here's a view from the highest part of the roof we were allowed access to. You can just barely see mountains in the distance. I'm not sure what mountains they are, so don't ask!
There you have it. Our first touristy experience in Milan!

5 comments:

Lori Hurst said...

That is beautiful!

kimberly said...

Oooh! It's so beautiful, in a very ostentatious sort of way. This is something I want to see at some point.

Court said...

Love it! Between you and Lori, my vicarious traveling is really a blast! We miss you!

Jennifer said...

I love it! I could look at those carvings all day. I would feel compelled to look up all the meanings. How far is your apartment from here?

Laura said...

Jennifer, our apartment is about 10 minutes from the subway, and then it's about a 20 minute subway ride in to the center of Milan where the Duomo is. Not bad at all.