Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Banking in Milan

Today we went to the bank so I could get added to Robert's account and get a debit card. Actually, Robert and I, along with one of the secretaries at work, went. She was there to translate for us. My impressions of banking in Milan (San Donato, actually):

1. To get in the bank you have to step one at a time into a tube. The door opens, you step in, the door closes, if nothing makes them nervous inside, the door into the bank opens, you step into the bank. There are little lockers outside in case you think you might have something that makes them nervous!

2. I signed my name at least 20 times in order to get added to Robert's account! That's crazy! I felt like I was buying a house. And lets hope the lady from Robert's work was really telling us what the papers said, since we would have no idea!

3. There is a charge to have more than one debit card. It's not much, but still.

4. We wanted to make a deposit. The lady at the bank told us that was fine, the first deposit is free. What? If we make more than one deposit a month at the bank, they charge us 3 euros (close to $4.00) for every deposit. What bank charges people to put money into their bank??

5. The ATM machines aren't like the ones at home that give you a choice of languages. Oh no, that would be too helpful. Your only choice here is Italian. Who knows what I might end up doing at an ATM machine here!

I am constantly amazed at how different Italy is from the United States. And I am constantly glad I get to return to the United States to live at some point.

3 comments:

Kristie said...

Don't they want money in their bank? I don't get it!

Court said...

I love #1. I think I need to institute that practice. "Hello, welcome to my life. Please step into the tunnel while I evaluate your presence. I'll get back with you shortly."

Maybe our Italian friends are on to something??

Jennifer said...

My mom must be italian. She thinks everything here should only be in english. If she were a native italian she would be thrilled.