Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Home Port - Southampton, England

In the early morning of July 28th, we arrived back in Southampton. Our cruise was over. Since we had to get to Heathrow Airport for late afternoon flights, we decided to take advantage of one last shore excursion - to Stonehenge.

Our tour guide showed us some interesting sights along the way. Here's just one of the herd of wild horses that roams the countryside in southeastern England.
We also saw some traditional thatched houses. So pretty to look at, but I think I prefer shingles for my own house!
We stopped in the small town of Salisbury so we could see the Salisbury Cathedral. Too bad so much of it was covered in scaffolding.
Then it was on to Stonehenge. It was as amazing as I imagined it would be.




Proof that Robert and I were there!
After leaving Stonehenge, our tour guides took a little detour so we could drive by Windsor Castle, one of the royal residences of the Queen.
It was a whirlwind morning and early afternoon, followed by a long flight back to Houston, but I'm so glad we did that last excursion. I had always wanted to see Stonehenge and I didn't know if I would ever get the chance again. It was a fitting end to a wonderful cruise around the British Isles.

No comments: