Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Seventh Port - Dublin, Ireland

On July 25th, we arrived in Dublin, Ireland. Robert and I decided to explore Dublin on our own, so we took a taxi to St. Patrick's Cathedral. Our cab driver was great. He knew his town and pointed out lots of sights along the way.

St. Patrick's Cathedral, built in 1220, is the largest cathedral in Ireland. It was a surprise to me because it wasn't a Catholic cathedral. It's actually a cathedral for the Church of Ireland. I had always assumed it was Catholic.
Here's just one of the many beautiful stained windows found inside the church.
After leaving St. Patrick's Cathedral, we wandered around Dublin for a while. We were sightseeing, but also on the lookout for the statue below. This is Molly Malone, of the famous song, "In Dublin's Fair City".
I have a lot of Irish blood in me. Every year on St. Patrick's Day, my family would sing Irish songs. My Dad loved to sing them loudly and with great feeling. I remember singing the song about Molly Malone. When I read there was a statue of her in Dublin, I knew I had to find it. For my Dad.

We spent a short day touring Dublin. We decided to relax on the cruise ship for part of the day, since we had had a number of long days before. But I'm glad we had the chance to do a little exploration.

No comments: