Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Ninth Port - St. Peter Port, Guernsey Island

We arrived in St. Peter Port, Guernsey Island on July 27th. I've included a map so you can see where the island is located in relation to England and France. Although closer to France, Guernsey Island is a British Crown Dependency.
A view of the port. We began our shore excursion here. We elected to do a drive around the island, with a few stops along the way. Usually we would have a tour guide and a bus driver, but this time we had a combination tour guide/bus driver. He was great. Not only was he interesting and informative, he was great at maneuvering our bus around the narrow streets of the island.
A view looking out toward France (not that you can see it).
Guernsey was occupied by the Germans during World War II. I didn't know this until I read the excellent book "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society". It was interesting to see remnants of the occupation.
We got to visit the workshop of Bruce Russell and Son, famous gold and silversmiths. I bought a beautiful pair of earrings which will remind me of Guernsey every time I wear them.
The grounds were beautiful.
We also went and visited the Little Chapel, which may be the smallest chapel in the world. The chapel was built by Brother Deodat and is completely decorated with pebbles, shells, and pieces of broken china (donated by Wedgewood).
Another view of the chapel.
I had to take a picture of a Guernsey cow.
Guernsey Island was beautiful. I loved everything about it.

No comments: