Sunday, December 12, 2010

A Serious Question

Scott has a week off school in February. Someone told me it's so people can go skiing. That's not what we're doing, though. Back in early September I found tickets to Houston for a really good price, so he and I are going home for a week.

I would really like to stay longer - maybe three weeks total. Having been home a few weeks ago, I know a week is not going to be long enough to do anything. Scott can't stay longer, since he needs to be in school.

Here's my question. Should I send Scott home by himself and stay in Houston longer? Sending him home alone means he would fly from Houston to Frankfurt, Germany alone. There he would spend four hours negotiating his way through the large Frankfurt airport, going through Security again, getting his passport stamped, and waiting for his connecting flight to Milan. Milan would be easy because it's a small airport and is easily negotiable.

Scott has flown from Frankfurt to Houston alone and gone through Customs there. But he's never negotiated the Frankfurt airport alone. He's fine with it. He's confident he can maneuver his way through the airport just fine. Robert also thinks he will be fine.

Part of me says, he's 17, he's a smart kid, he'll be fine with this. But the mom part of me says, he may be 17, but he's my baby. I can't send him around the world alone.

That's my dilemma. Please tell me what you think.

6 comments:

Alisha said...

As someone who traveled frequently by myself as a teenager, I'd say do it. He is smart & responsible. You've raised a great kid.

Kristie said...

I totally think he can do it! I'm with Alisha - I traveled and navigated the LA airport many times as a teenager. He is totally responsible enough to handle it.

Jennifer said...

DO IT!!!!!!! Uh, I mean, yes, he can handle it. DO IT!!!!!

Court said...

Scott is totally capable. I say let him go for it. And for you to stay longer!

Lori Hurst said...

Ryan traveled quite a bit when he was younger - 14+ and never had a glitch - I think he will be fine ...

kimberly said...

I know Scotty can do it! But there's this other part of me that still thinks of him like a little brother and worries.

And remember: You're already sending me through Frankfurt by myself. I may be 28, but that doesn't make airports - particularly foreign ones - any less stressful.