Thursday, August 19, 2010

Tuesday - A Hard Day

Tuesday was a hard day. It was the day we took our 14-year-old beagle, Bailey, to the vet and had her put to sleep.

Once I knew for sure we were moving, I thought long and hard about what would be best for Bailey. She was getting old. She was getting arthritis and and wasn't moving around as well. If we weren't moving, she would have been fine for a while longer. But, plain and simply, Bailey was my dog. She was attached to me. She would follow me from room to room. I was afraid it would be too hard on her if I were suddenly gone for a long period of time. Also, she would be left alone for long periods of time, and that would have made her miserable. I talked it over with my vet a couple of weeks ago, and we both agreed her happiness was what was important.

But knowing it was the best thing to do didn't make it any easier.

I took a last picture of her on Tuesday. She loved to lay on the back of the couch, and could still get up there, even though it took her a few tries! The one ear back is classic Bailey!
The time at the vet's office was hard, but I'm glad we stayed with her. The vet explained what would happen. It was all very quick and peaceful, and Bailey was gone in less than 10 seconds.

They sent us home with this clay paw print so we could always remember Bailey. Not that we could ever forget her.
Bailey was a great dog. I will miss her very much.

5 comments:

Alisha said...

Oh Laura-- I'm sorry. What a hard thing to do. But good for you for doing what was best for Bailey! As you know-- All Dogs Go To Heaven!

Rhonda said...

What a lot of courage and love that took! I hope the good memories and good times will quickly fill the painful void you all must feel.

Alison said...

Oh my goodness I am so sorry. I am bawling right now! I know that she will be happier where she is now.

Shel said...

That was probably one of the hardest posts I've read in a very long time. I know that you will miss Bailey and it was a hard thing to do...I'm so sorry.

Court said...

Sweet Bailey...she was a great dog and she was loved well.